Chapter 40

"I mean I saw some of it through your memories so it's not a total shock," Ikzo explained as he played with the back hem of my pajama top, "But some of the stuff, the things you didn't picture do look strange. Nothing terribly outrageous though."

I was laying on my stomach but half of my torso was on him. He was lying on his back on my bed. It was the next morning already but we hadn't gotten up for the day. I took a few minutes before my mother woke to just talk with him. I had asked him how he was since arriving here but he surprisingly had acclimated well. I suppose that happens when you visit planets all your life.

I nodded, "That makes sense." My fingertips brush mindlessly against his chest, "I'll have to go to the store today, get more food for my mother. Most of the stuff I didn't throw out is spoiled."

"You think she will go?"

I shrugged lightly, "It's up to her, if she feels good enough to go. I think she's rested enough but I know she'll have to start eating more to feel better too. I'll definitely ask."

"I probably shouldn't go then."

"Is she really still scared of you?" I asked. He would know for certain if he was in her mind.

He nodded, "She's wary. Now that she knows I'm not human. My camouflage does still calm her but not as much as before."

I pursed my lips. There wasn't much I could do about that. I would continue to reassure her but I knew she had a right to still be afraid. All she knew was the bad. She would connect any alien to that. I hoped before I left she would at least start to come to terms with Ikzo was good.

"Can I ask," he started and I nodded before he got the rest out, "You said yesterday that you love me. That means something here, right?"

I nodded again, "Yes. Is that not what you say?"

Likaliv means love doesn't it? I wondered if they had a different expression for what I meant.

"Ny glik yi exime." He responded, "It's close to what you mean. It translates to you are my lifeline."

I didn't recognize anything but Yi. He had said that before, Yi Roxi.

His hand came up to brush my red locks away from my face, his fingers playing with them, "My flame." He translated my thoughts, "Your hair reminded me of the flames of a fire. The color is so vibrant. It's Ralion."

That one I knew, pretty.

"Beautiful, gorgeous." He emphasized.

His eyes followed his fingers then went to my face, "What I was getting at earlier, you said you love me. It was surprising to hear."

"Why?" My eyebrows pulled together.

"I figured, for a second when we got here, then again when your mother brought it up, that you would still want to stay. That you might have changed your mind."

My face smoothed out as I realized what he meant. He thought now that I had my mother back I would not want to be with him anymore.

"That's not true." I denied fiercely, "I chose to be with you because I wanted you. I still want you. I want this." I gestured between us, "Don't think that I don't."

I was hurt that he would think it would take so little for me to stop loving him. That I would throw away everything because my mother was safe again.

His face softened as he moved to cup mine, "No Heather I don't think that anymore. It was fleeting. I realized my doubts weren't real when you defended us so quickly, so passionately." His thumb brushed my cheek softly, "I'm sorry, I didn't think that would upset you."