*~Chapter thirty-four~*

smooth out my dress as I walk through the facility's door. Making my way to Mum's room, I knock gently before pushing open the already ajar door.

"Hey, Mum," I call out.

"Sweetheart!" she exclaims, rushing over to squish me into a hug. She pulls back and glances over my shoulder. I roll my eyes.

"It's just me, Mum."

"I thought I told you to bring him," she chuckles, teasing me. Now it's my turn to glance over her shoulder, and I see my least favorite person in the world, John.

"Hey, Maeve," John says in his annoyingly cheerful voice.

"Hey, John," I mutter.

I lean in closer to Mum and whisper, "Um, Mum, I thought you and John weren't speaking."

"Yeah, but he called, and we rekindled," she replies with a smile. I force myself not to roll my eyes.

"Well, as long as you're happy," I say, managing a smile.

John, ever the intruder, steps in. "Well, we should get moving outside. They're going to start soon." He walks over, grabbing my mother's waist and pulling her toward the door. Why the fudge is he here? This is supposed to be family day.

I force myself to follow them outside, feeling a mix of frustration and determination to make the best of the situation. We take a seat near the "bar," which only serves non-alcoholic drinks since this is Sunny Goods Facility. It's not just a family outing spot; it's a place where families can visit their loved ones who are battling various issues, whether it's drug addiction, depression, or other health challenges.

John orders a sparkling water, and I follow suit, not in the mood for anything too fancy. Mum seems to be in good spirits, chatting animatedly with John, and I try my best to stay engaged, even though his presence is grating on my nerves.

"So, what have you been up to, sweetheart?" Mum asks, turning her attention to me.

"Work mostly," I reply, forcing a smile. "Just trying to keep everything balanced."

"You're doing great," she says, her eyes filled with pride. "I'm so glad you came today."

"Me too, Mum," I say, genuinely meaning it. Despite everything, seeing her happy makes it worth it.

John chimes in, "It's a beautiful day for a family visit. We should make the most of it."

I nod, though inwardly I wish he wasn't part of this family visit. But I push those thoughts aside, focusing on Mum and trying to make the day as enjoyable as possible for her. I decide that I was going to tell her near the end of the day that I have to move out.

ast night, Jasper and I talked more about the possibility of me staying at his place. He reassured me that he was more than okay with it, so I agreed, but only as a last resort. I have a place I'm going to visit next week on Thursday, which means if I don't get that place, I'll only have a week left to find something else.

"John, let's go dance," Mum says, looking over at the other people swaying to the music.

"Yeah, sure, whatever," John mutters, clearly not interested but still standing up and grabbing her hand. Mum's enthusiasm is contagious, and she pulls him toward the small dance floor, leaving me alone for a moment.

I watch them for a bit, a small smile playing on my lips despite my mixed feelings about John. It's good to see Mum happy and enjoying herself. I take a deep breath, trying to let go of my worries for now and just appreciate the moment.

As I sip my drink, I can't help but think about the place I'm going to visit next week. It's my best shot at finding a new home before my time runs out. If that doesn't work out, at least I have Jasper's offer as a backup.