EVELYN / CHAPTER FORTY FOUR

I'm standing outside Xavier's hospital room again, pacing back and forth as I wait for Hunter.

Ava decided she wanted to stay at the hospital with Xavier, even though it's way past visiting hours. She got into a full blown argument with one of the doctors earlier about it before Rueben stepped in, insisting it was okay for her to stay.

It's currently 2:42 in the fuckin' morning. I'm so exhausted that I could lay on the ground and probably fall asleep with no issues.

The door to Xavier's room flings open, revealing Hunter in the doorway. "You ready to go?" I ask, grabbing the ends of my sleeves before I wrap my arms around myself.

"Yeah, baby." He smiles, although his face is pained. "I'm sorry for keeping you so late."

I scoff, rolling my eyes at him. "It's not like I have anywhere better to be."

He latches onto my waist, slamming me into his side. I gasp from the sudden change of positions before Hunter leans down, his mouth close to my ear. "Don't you ever roll your eyes at me again." He whispers, his warm breath brushing against my ear, making me shudder in his hold.

"I-i'm sorry." I stutter, clearing my throat awkwardly. Luckily, it's early hours of the morning and there's barely any people in the waiting room. Apart from an elderly man reading a newspaper, on the brink of passing out in his chair.

"Let's get you home." Hunter says, quickly changing the subject.

I nod, taking a glimpse into Xavier's hospital room, catching sight of Ava, who's resting her head on her arms as she leans against the hospital bed, soft snores echo throughout the room.

My lips thin, focusing back in front of me as Hunter closes the door and escorts me down the hallway, back to the entrance of the hospital.

The receptionist from earlier is still at the front desk, giving Hunter a smile that's way too friendly for my liking. It looks like she's about to climb over the desk and beg for Hunter to take her home. The impression makes me uncomfortable.

I shoot a glare in her direction, a sudden wave of jealousy overtakes me and before I know it, I'm rising up on my tippy toes to cup Hunter by the cheek, pulling him down to my height and slamming my lips to his hungrily. This oughta teach that fuckin' receptionist for thinking she had a right to stare at what's mine.

Hunter instinctively deepens the kiss, my lips parting slightly as a soft whimper escapes my throat. He takes the opportunity of my lips parting to slide his tongue inside, our tongues twining around each other. His hands find my arse, cupping and giving a gentle squeeze. For a moment, I forget we're still at the fuckin' hospital.

Hunter eases away from me and I know it took everything in him to do that. He rests his forehead against mine, his lips inches away from my own. "Home. Now." He demands and an unexpected thrill takes over my body.

I nod eagerly, my lips pleading for his again. Clearly, that's all it took for Hunter to grab a hold of my hand, haul my arse through the automatic doors and drag me back to his car as if I'm his own personal puppet but hey, I'm not complaining.

Hunter shoves me against the side of the car, trapping me in between his tall frame as his hands grip my hips in a tight hold. I let out a huff when my back hits the cold metal, resting my hands on Hunter's forearms, slowly gliding them up his biceps, loving the feel of his muscles.

Hunter growls from the feel of my hands on him. "If you're not careful, Snowflake, I'll fuck you right here."

My lips part from his crude words and a sudden ache appears in between my thighs from the thought of it. "Maybe I want you to." I challenge.