EVELYN / CHAPTER FORTY SIX

"Am I being overdramatic?" Ava whines as she rummages through her purse to find her fold up compact mirror and her favourite Rare Beauty lip gloss that gives her lips the most crimson shade of red I have ever seen. She hasn't done a full face of make up in days, considering she just cries it off whenever she sees Xavier. I wonder what's changed.

"Hmm..wha- no?" I respond, my face full of confusion as I stab my pastry with my fork, causing flakes to scatter all over the marble plate.

"Fucks sake, Evie." Ava sighs, shaking her head as she fixes up her lip gloss. "Can you at least pretend you're listening?"

My head flings up from her words. "S-sorry."- I stutter, straightening myself in my seat and brushing a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "It's just been a stressful few days."

It's not even because of Xavier's accident either. Exams are coming up next week and every time I try to study, I can't fuckin' focus.

"Tell me about it." Ava scoffs, as if she's the only person in the world with problems. I glare at her with an unimpressed look before I go back to stabbing my pastry that's done absolutely nothing wrong to me. I just can't seem to fuckin' stomach anything.

"Are you going to eat that?" Ava asks, jutting her head towards my plate as she places her compact mirror and lip gloss back into her purse.

I shake my head softly, pushing my plate away from me. Ava greedily accepts the plate, picking up the pastry to take a bite. The sight alone makes me nauseated. What the hell is going on with me lately?

"Mhmm." Ava hums with approval. "This is so good. You sure you don't want it back?"

I raise my hands in the air and shake my head again, allowing Ava to savour every last piece of my pastry.

Looking out the glass windows, I catch a glimpse of a redhead across the street, walking side by side with another familiar male. "Is that..?" My words trail off as my eyes adjust, getting a better view of who I'm looking at. "Ysabelle and Arlo?"

"What?!" Ava squeals, her mouth full of pastry as little crumbs fly out before she whips her head around to follow my gaze. "What the fuck? It is!"

"Gosh, Ava. You're the least subtle person I've ever met." I tease, cracking a laugh to myself.

"Hey!" She whines, turning her attention back to me.

I giggle with a shake of the head, darting my eyes in Ysabelle's direction. "She's coming over."

"With Arlo?!" Ava gasps, quickly swallowing her food and almost choking on it in the process.

"No, bitch. Slow down." I throw a napkin in Ava's direction, eyeing her with a concerned look.

"What's up bitches?!" Ysabelle squeals as she struts through the doors and makes her way over to our table, removing her sunnies and sitting them on the top of her head. "What'd I miss?"

I fold my arms over my chest, returning her gaze. "More like.. what did we miss?" I tease.

"What do you mean?" Ysabelle says, oblivious to the situation as she throws her car keys into her tote bag and takes a seat at the table with us.

Ava laughs, wiping her face with the napkin before she throws it down on the empty plate. "We saw you with Arlo, girlfriend."

"Oh, that!" Ysabelle waves her hand in the air in front of us as if it's nothing. "We just bumped into each other." She skims over the spare menu on the table, not revealing anything else.

"You just bumped into each other?" Ava asks, quirking a brow.

"Yeah, I don't believe that either." I chime in, causing Ysabelle's head to lift up.