EVELYN / CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHT

It's been officially a week since dad died. Hunter assured me that him and Vinnie had taken care of the body - whatever the fuck that means. At least I don't have to deal with the cops ever finding out and risk Hunter going to prison for murder.

Was it murder though? Dad would have probably killed me himself if Hunter didn't show up. The thought alone makes me shudder in my seat, almost dropping my drink all over the table. I must have been so deep in my thoughts, I've forgotten about the reality right in front of me.

"Evie? Can you fuckin' focus?" Ysabelle sighs, waving a hand in my face, evidently annoyed. About what? I don't know. I can't even remember what she was talking about.

I pinch the bridge of my nose, groaning as I place my cup on the table. "What were we talking about again?" I ask, shifting my attention to Ysabelle who's glaring at me with a disapproving look on her face.

Ysabelle grunts, folding her arms over her chest as she looks over in Ava's direction who has her head in her phone, typing away as if her life depends on it. She's been glued to her phone ever since her and Xavier became official.

"Ava!" Ysabelle grumbles, quickly growing more frustrated at the two of us. "It's Vinnie's fuckin' birthday tomorrow and you bitches aren't even helping me out over here!"

"How about you just suck his dick and call it a day?" Ava suggests with a shrug, looking up at Ysabelle over her phone. I giggle, taking a sip from my drink. I think that's the first time Ava has ever said something so out of pocket about dicks.

"That's not very special when you do it every day, is it Ava?" Ysabelle teases, raising a brow.

Ava gasps and I almost choke on my fuckin' drink when the words leave Ysabelle's mouth.

"What the fuck?!" I choked, covering my mouth to cough.

"Bitch, don't act like you don't suck Hunter's dick every day too." Ysabelle says, whipping her head in my direction.

"Okay, enough about dicks!" Ava sighs frustratedly, slamming her phone on the table. A bunch of eyes land on us, glaring at us with disapproving looks.

"You literally started it." I teased, shaking my head. Ava stares at me with a look of pure innocence, as if she would never do such a thing.

Ysabelle clears her throat and smiles apologetically in their direction, rising from her seat and chucking her tote bag over her shoulder. "Let's get the fuck out of here." She growls softly, still smiling at the elderly people who probably almost went into cardiac arrest from our conversation.

Ava nods as she rises from her seat, chucking her phone into her purse. I do the same, sculling my drink in the process and head towards the bin to dispose of the cup. Ain't no way I'm wasting my precious matcha.

We head out of the cafe, walking back up the street to the shopping mall. "Why don't we just go out for drinks and dinner or something?" I suggest, looking back and forth between Ysabelle and Ava.

Ysabelle hums, her lips thinning as if she's thinking about a math equation she can't solve. "We could but I want to do something more fun."

"Hmm." Ava hums, tapping her chin with her pointer finger before she stops abruptly in front of us, jumping up and down. "Oh! What about the Autumn Fest Fair that's happening this weekend?!"

"That could be a little fun, you know?" Ysabelle agrees.

"Heck yeah!" Ava claps her hands together, looking in my direction along with Ysabelle.

"Why are you guys looking at me?" I ask as I look back and forth between them both, my brows furrowing with confusion.

"What do you think?!" Ava asks enthusiastically.