Barely home

I hear a crackling noise. I wasn't sure what it was, but it was very close to my ears. My mind felt foggy. What was I doing? Maybe Gabe had hit me too hard, finally. I felt cold, like normal. But I felt more comfortable than usual. I swallowed, wishing I had water. My tongue ran over my dry lips.

"Are you thirsty?" The voice startled me, making me jolt more awake.

I stared with blurry vision into the darkness. I rubbed my eyes until the scene before me cleared up. I stared at Kakashi. My eyes looked around, confused. I got up and slowly crawled over to him on the grass, where he was sitting next to a fire. I grabbed his arm, holding onto him. How did I get here?

"Honey?" His voice was worried.

Had it been a dream? I looked down at my blistered wrists. Not a dream. Suddenly, Kakashi was crouching in front of me, holding my face. He looked worried.

"Are you okay?" He asked, and his voice was a bit more stern now.

I frowned deeper and furrowed my brows, trying to think. I fumbled over a few words, unable to process what to actually say. I was to confused. My hand went to my throat, I was so thirsty. I looked up at him, wanting.

He reached into his side pouch, pulling a flask from it. He undid the lid and handed it to me. I clasped onto it and started to chug. "Slow down; your going to get sick." He demanded.

I gasped for air as I yanked it away from my mouth. I took deep breaths and then slowly put the lid on it, hugging it to my chest. I realized I was more comfortable because I wasn't in that ridiculous outfit anymore. I was in one of his long-sleeve shirts, wearing it as a dress. I felt my bare butt on the grass and snapped my thighs together. My bottoms are even gone.

"Something is wrong; what is it?" He asked it softly.

I shivered and closed my eyes. "I'm confused." My voice was so low, I wondered if he could even hear me.

"Are you in pain?"

I was in pain, but it wasn't anything new. I shifted my sitting position and sucked in air, feeling tender almost everywhere. My feet hurt the most. I stretched my legs out, looking at all the bruises, cuts, burns, and blisters. I looked at him, frowning. I hurt everywhere. I nodded slowly, and then my head snapped to the side, hearing someone snore. There were others a bit away, and there were many fires with people sleeping around them.

"Its okay. Look, I know this is a lot, but soon we will be home. You can get all patched up and sleep in your bed." He sounded nervous, and sad.

I looked back at him. "How did I get here?" I asked it as he stood up. I reached forward, grabbing his leg. I felt desperate.

He reached down and carefully moved me, pulling me off his leg and onto a sleeping mat. He laid down on his side, looking worried. "You don't remember traveling from the hideout? Well, you had been passed out." He told me and gently stroked my face.

I shook my head—no, farther back. Something was missing, it felt off. "The last thing I remember was going to bed on the floor at the foot of Gabe's bed. " I said it to him and then regretted it. It sounded so pitiful.

His seemed to flash with hatred. "You don't remember the fight?" He asked it, trying to hide the seething rage in his voice.

I stared up at him, worried. He must really hate Gabe, but he has to stay away from him. "Kakashi, I don't want you to die. Gabe will-" His eye twitched, and he laughed. Wait, he laughed? Why was he laughing?

"Gabe is dead. I think you should get some more rest. It is still late and we still need to make it back to the village." He spoke more softly, the worry back in his voice. He reached out, gently grabbing me and pulling me into his chest.