Soak it up

I made my rounds around the border of the sand village with Tamari. We had to stay behind for our own reasons: hers because they wanted to be ready in case others tried something while Gaara was gone, and mine because it was felt that I would get killed.

I rolled my eyes, still annoyed. Tamari was filling me in on the details. The people that went missing and the puppets. The attack and the tailed beasts. What life was like for Gaara and apparently Naruto. It broke my heart to hear about how cruel people in the world could be, not that it was much different on Ars.

I felt bad for them; it was a cruel fate. As she spoke her words, I became confused. A mix of not knowing and understanding too well. "If they are doing what you say, they are trying to pull the beast from him." I started, but then took a moment to try and gather my thoughts. "Actually, I think I read about this without realizing it. This requires some time to complete." I said it as the memories of my readings came back to me. I licked my lips, feeling the dry dessert heat sucking the moisture from them even now. "I thought it had been a fairytale. All these things are new to me. If you were going to get Gaara and you had been an enemy in need of great time, what would you do?" I asked it as we stopped in our tracks. I felt a desperate feeling sinking into my gut. Time was the biggest element in this moment!

She looked deep in thought for a moment, thinking a bit confused. "Time?" She spoke the word, not understanding. "I would stale." She whispered, a look of horrifying realization washing over her face.

I nodded, looking out over the land nervously. Kakashi and them hadn't left too long ago. I didn't like this feeling. "You said men went missing after Gaara went missing. Somehow the Akasaki had been informed. "I whispered it as the thought formed.

She looked at me in disbelief and said, "Are you trying to say they had been traitors?!" She rasped, getting angry.

I frowned, "I have a theory, but... I need to leave." I swept my hand through my hair. My thoughts rushed quickly; I was already running through a few ideas. Some things stand out now. "Tamari, I think that the others will be distracted, like they will have something thrown at them that will make them stuck for a while." I gasped, growing anxious by the second. Kakashi was in danger; they would be in danger!

She looked like she understood suddenly. "Wait. If they require more time..."

I nodded. "Your brother said the one guy is like a master of puppets? Maybe those men that vanished—couldn't they be puppets of sorts? I mean, maybe it is just because this is all crazy to me and I don't understand all the rules." I fumbled.

She shook her head, shocked. "Your way of thinking... it is crazy, but it makes sense. We will send a bird." She said it but her look was anxious.

"A bird is to slow. I will go on foot. I might not be very strong, but I am fast. Hmm. Also, I did something that Kakashi might now be too happy about." I mumbled it as I felt over myself, I was ready. Besides, maybe some water. 

She tilted her head and said, "Whatever you need to do, do it. I can't lose Gaara. I will inform the council. Just go..." She then took off, running. She had a true look of fear; it reminded me of my fear of losing Kakashi. I shook my head and turned toward the desert.

I just hope Sakura did as I asked. I folded my hands together and focused. I mentally reached out. I felt what I was looking for. Reaching out, I stepped into the void space between me and my teleportation seal. Suddenly I was beside a tree, my kunai wedged into the tree. My hand around the kunai. I yanked it out and ran forward, feeling the others were not to far off. There was another chakra. It was a little weak.

I saw an explosion ahead; a great fireball shot past me. I jumped up into the tree, looking around in horror. Kakashi was fighting a robed man. The robe was black, with red and black clouds on it. Something I learned was a symbol of the Akasaki. His red, swirling eyes told me exactly who he was. Itachi Uchiha had eyes like Kakashi. I am glad I have studied so much of this world.