Chapter 42: The way you hate me

A week went by on a whim, then another, and yet another one.

One week left until the day of their military enlistment, the day of separation, and Jungkook didn't know what to do with himself.

The three weeks were spent with his members doing anything and everything. They just wanted to be together, it didn't matter what they did. Especially with Taehyung, Jungkook was adamant on spending time with his lover before they were separated.

And separated they would be. It was set in stone now.

True to his word, Jungkook made some calls and asked around about the possibility of him and Taehyung joining the buddy program as a couple and as expected the answer was no. Jungkook knew that would be the answer, Taehyung even told him it would be. But he couldn't just not try, he couldn't simply let Taehyung go without trying. The fact that Taehyung refused to try, that he was already set on and seemed to be okay with the coming separation was still so disheartening. It truly broke Jungkook's heart.

Jungkook feared that the news of their enlistment would turn Taehyung even more against him. Taehyung was already so emotional and unpredictable and Jungkook just knew this would happen. He knew Taehyung would avoid him more, be colder to him, refuse his proximity, and it was crushing him to pieces.

He knew this was his fault. His mistakes did this, but Jungkook felt like he was going out of his mind, because what mistake was it that caused this? He wanted to fix what was happening, still vowing to never let go of Taehyung, but he couldn't fix what he didn't know the cause of.

Of course he understood the gist of it. But he needed Taehyung to tell him if he was still disgusted with him because of the cheating, or if it is because of the recent time he left Taehyung in the name of doing what's best for the older. He didn't know what it could be, which one it could be. Was it something else? He had probably done loads of other shit before that too which he couldn't remember, or maybe he hadn't. All he knows is that Taehyung decides and he would accept whatever reason there is and do better.

And he really thought he had, he really really thought he was good.

To this day Jungkook could not understand how he had cheated on Taehyung. He never fell out of love, never felt less love for the older, Taehyung was always the center of his attention. He couldn't understand any of it. Couples had fights and sometimes they were bad to each other, like his jealousy when Taehyung was in Hwarang and what he did with the whole europe trip. But that was a horrible mistake, that could be forgiven. That's usually how Jungkook and Taehyung fought, they had smaller arguments and then sometimes they did something big to the other, but it was always forgivable.

But something within Jungkook changed all those years ago when he cheated on Taehyung. Even before that. It had been what? Three, four- years now since the cheating and even a year or so before that Jungkook felt something within him change. He couldn't explain it, something within him wasn't the way it used to be.

When he was sad he was extremely sad, when he was angry he was extremely angry, he did things with an impulse before thinking about it first, if he was jealous then wouldn't only be jealous anymore, no. Instead he would cause havoc. He couldn't even remember how many times he trashed his studio because of jealousy concerning Taehyung. But he doesn't understand, what changed? Because this wasn't Jungkook, this wasn't him.

So, what happened?

Jungkook didn't know. The Jungkook he had always been would never cheat, never cause Taehyung this much harm, never break and smash an entire room simply because of seeing Taehyung with another male, he wouldn't leave Taehyung, never in a million years.