Chapter 41: Reality can wait

It was quiet,

so quiet.

Eerie even.

Having had a great time together the day before, the members didn't expect for such turn of events. No one could have ever guessed that the day after, they would be sitting together as a group in their living room, watching some show, but in reality not watching it at all.

Never did they think that the military enlistment havoc would eventually catch up to them, at least not now.

They always knew they had to go. They always knew it had to be done and even if they were granted exemption they wouldn't accept it. Would an exemption make the rest of their career easier? Yes, of course. Would it make their everyday lives and conscience worse? Yes, that too.

They had spoken about this topic many times and they had decided as a group that they would enlist, that was always the decision.

Just... not yet. Not this soon.

None of them realized that the word soon in reference to their enlistment was relative. To the fans it would probably always be too soon, to the members it is too soon, but it doesn't have to be forever, and to the rest it might be late, so late.

Alas, they had not choice. They had to go.

Those were the thoughts they were all deep in, despite the show playing on the screen.

It was just... so damn quiet.

The thing was, their fear wasn't the military in itself. It wasn't the physical and mental pain and overwhelm they would have to endure for eighteen months, it was the separation.

They had never been separated like that before, they didn't know how to be separated like that.

They didn't want it, ask for it nor need it. They weren't in need of absence for the heart to grow fonder, they already were fond of each other, they already valued each other. Jungkook knew he did, he loved and appreciated them all. Seokjin, Yoongi, Namjoon, Hoseok, Jimin, Taehy-.

Silence. Head empty.

'Taehyung'

The name, the entity and source of Jungkooks turmoil. Of course, the thought of separating from his brothers, his hyungs was saddening, really saddening. But even the thought of separating from Taehyung for eighteen months was devastation, heartbreaking and no part of Jungkook was in a state to accept that thought.

He was afraid. So damn afraid.

Him and his hyungs were good, they were alright and the separation would be difficult, yes. But they would reunite and everything would be just like before.

But Taehyung, It was him who frightened Jungkook the most. He was already on edge, he had been for such a long time now, he was not okay, not in touch with exactly what he was feeling. And now, now a military enlistment had been thrown into the equation, a separation of eighteen months was present and Jungkook was so afraid that in those months, Taehyung would realize just how poor an excuse of a human he really is.

Jungkook sighed when his chest started aching, his own thoughts giving him immense anxiety. As he leaned his head back he tried to rid of his thoughts, any other thought would do. But nothing could erase the immense fear of losing what matters the most to him in this world.

"Jungkookie?"

Him.

Jungkook turned his head to Taehyung who seemed to be watching him with sad, yet empty eyes. He looked like he had been thinking alot himself, fighting some silent mind game, just like the rest of them.