97. Chapter

New York, United States
August

"I hate him terribly! I curse the day I met him! I wish his children would pee!" were her first words to me when I answered the call. I put the black nail polish on the table and picked up the phone.

"What happened?" I asked worriedly.

"That fucking bastard cheated on me, Ashley!" her tearful face made my heart sink.

"I'm listening." She wiped the tears flowing down her face with the other hand. I raised one unpainted leg on the sofa and supported myself on the back of the sofa with my hand.

She and Wayne got together a year ago at a party hosted by the well-known influencer Brielle. They hit it off right away, but I never liked him, based on the principle that he first started after me, but when I rejected him, he attached himself to my best friend. Of course I told her, but she didn't listen. She had fallen head over heels in love with this idiot and it was only a matter of time before that happened, but I wasn't going to blame her. I was her good friend and my role was to support her in difficult times.

Wayn was exactly the kind of blond boy with an angelic smile, but underneath it all he was a spoiled brat who broke girls' hearts and broke exactly one of my best friend's.

"I'm sorry Beth," I said honestly and she snorted.

"It's my fault, Ashley. I should have listened to you, you were right then. God knows how many times he's done it. I really hate it." I put the phone on the table and painted my other leg.

"He's an idiot, Beth. He doesn't deserve you, forget it. Throw your big ass on and go out and have fun." I encouraged her.

"You know what? And you're right." she grimaced. Suddenly I heard the front door slam and Shannon appeared in the hallway.

"Honey, I'll call you later, have fun!" and I canceled the video call.

"Ashley, I need something from you," I furrowed my brows and walked over to her.

Four hours later, I was holding two bags full of rags and supplies that were written on the list. I entered the apartment and put my bags between the hallway and the living room.

"Shannon, I'm home!" I shouted and a blonde head came out of her room.

"Do you have everything?" she asked and I nodded. "Okay, now help me with the paint. I can't do it myself." we went to the bathroom, where we prepared everything.

"What are you going to do?" our eyes met in the reflection of the mirror. I was starting to regret asking her at all.

"I don't know yet," I grabbed her shoulder encouragingly, "you can't tell anyone, Ashley. His father is a very dangerous man. I don't want anything to happen to you, so you have to keep your mouth shut, understand?" I slowly nodded.

"You have my word, Shannon," I assured her, "whatever you decide, I will stand by you. Think it through so you don't regret it later. It happened for a reason. Don't forget that from now on you have me ." she smiled weakly at me and squeezed my hand.

"Thank you." I let go of her hand and applied brown color to her hair.

"But then you have to go to the hairdresser. After a while it will wash away," after two hours of finished work, we sat on the balcony and drank the time, "what's your plan?" I asked her.

"It's better if I don't tell you, Ashley, it's for your safety," I nodded in understanding.

"I have a feeling you've been involved with some very bad people, Shannon," she laughed.

"That's a weak word," she waved her hand, "tomorrow you'll do exactly what I wrote, okay? You can't mention anything when you call, okay? It's best if you leave the phone at home."

"Okay, I'm going to lie down."

"Good night," she waved at me and I went to my room. I lay down in bed and in the morning I was woken up by the sound of the alarm clock. Annoyed, I turned it off and went to get ready. I did my hygiene in the bathroom, put on a plain white dress and she put on her head a blonde wig with a hat.

When I was ready, I went out and walked the aisles. On the way, I stopped at her favorite cafe and ordered tea. Then I called an Uber and he drove me to the mall.

"It's possible that you will be followed." I heard her words in my head and she was right. Indeed, two men had been following me for at least fifteen minutes. I pretended not to know about it and entered the ladies' toilet. I changed in the cubicle into a black leather skirt and a black tank top. I threw the wig in the bin and went out.

My heart was beating madly.

I walked past them unnoticed and that's when I felt my heart drop with relief.