Chapter 3: A Taste of Comfort

The Scholar’s Brew was a charming café, nestled at the heart of the campus. Its inviting ambiance was marked by warm lighting and rustic wooden tables. The walls were decorated with eclectic artwork and shelves of books, creating a cozy and intellectual atmosphere. With its accessible location and welcoming vibe, it quickly became a popular spot for students seeking a respite from their busy schedules.

As Emma and I approached the counter to place our orders, the barista, a young man with a friendly smile, greeted us. “What can I get for you today?” he asked Emma, his eyes lingering on her with a hint of flirtation. “By the way, you’re looking really pretty today. Maybe we could chat sometime? I’d love to get your number.” Emma smiled politely and responded, “Thanks! Maybe we should just enjoy our coffee first. I’ll think about it.”

While we waited for our drinks, my thoughts drifted back to Derek Kane. Even amidst the warmth of the café, memories of my past lingered, casting a shadow over the present. Despite the charm of the place and Emma’s cheerful demeanor, the emotional scars from my past weren’t easily forgotten.

As we sat at our table, Emma noticed the faraway look on my face. “You seem lost in thought,” she said gently. “If you want to talk about it, I’m here to listen.”

I managed a small smile. “It’s nothing, really. Just some stuff from the past.” I took a deep breath and added, “I was actually supposed to come to college with my ex, Derek Kane. He was kind of a big deal in high school—like the heartthrob everyone adored. But things didn’t work out, and we had a pretty ugly breakup.”

Emma’s curiosity was piqued. “Do you want to talk about what happened?” she asked. Before I could respond, the café door swung open, and in walked Mateo Rivera, flanked by two friends—Ethan Brooks and Marcus Lee. Mateo’s presence commanded attention, his casual confidence unmistakable. Ethan and Marcus followed, their own energy adding to the dynamic of the group. Emma’s gaze followed them, momentarily shifting the focus away from my past, but I could feel the conversation hovering in the air, waiting for the right moment.

As Mateo, Ethan, and Marcus approached our table, Marcus’s eyes lit up with recognition. “Emma? Is that really you?” he asked, a broad smile spreading across his face. Emma’s eyes widened with surprise and delight. “Marcus! What a pleasant surprise! I didn’t know you’d be here.” The two friends quickly fell into easy conversation, their familiarity evident as they caught up. Emma introduced Marcus to me. “Marcus, this is Sophia, my new friend. Sophia, this is Marcus Lee.”

Marcus turned to me with a warm smile. “Hi, Sophia. I’m Marcus Lee. It’s nice to meet you.” He then gestured to Mateo and Ethan. “And these are my friends, Mateo Rivera and Ethan Brooks. We were just grabbing a coffee. Mind if we join you?”

“Not at all,” I said, inviting them to sit.

As the group settled in, Marcus and Emma started catching up. “So, how’s everything?” Marcus asked. “How’s your family? Still involved with that non-profit?”

Emma nodded. “Yeah, my parents are still deeply involved. It’s been busy but rewarding. How about yours? I heard your dad’s with GlobalTech?”

Marcus smiled. “Yes, he’s still with GlobalTech. He’s been working on some major projects lately, so he’s been pretty swamped. It’s actually quite interesting to see the new developments he’s involved in.”

While they chatted, Mateo and I exchanged a few awkward glances. As we adjusted our seats, our arms accidentally brushed, causing a brief but noticeable tension. I tried to ignore it, but the discomfort was palpable.

I watched the group settle in, and as the chatter continued, I couldn’t help but think, how did I end up here? Just moments ago, girls were gushing over Mateo like he was unattainable, and now, here I was, sitting with him in the café.