Chapter 35 : Proving ground

I finally felt it—the familiar surge of adrenaline that had been missing these past few weeks. My foot was fine, more than fine, really. I tested it during warm-ups, pushing off hard, pivoting, sprinting. No pain, no hesitation. Just the clean, sharp focus I’d been craving since the injury.

After that night with Sophia, everything seemed brighter, sharper. I couldn’t stop replaying the way she smiled, the way her eyes lit up when she laughed. It was like she’d reignited something in me. And now, all that pent-up energy was ready to be unleashed on the field.

We were facing Penn State today, and the stakes couldn’t be higher. Not just because they were our rivals, but because their quarterback was Derek. Derek Kane. The guy who’d made Sophia’s life hell, who’d cut her off without a word when she needed him most. I knew the story now—Marcus and Ethan had filled in the gaps I didn’t want to admit were there. And today, it wasn’t just about winning. It was about showing up, proving I was better. Better than Derek, better than the doubts that had been eating at me since I met Sophia.

The locker room buzzed with the usual pre-game tension, but I was locked in. This wasn’t just another game; this was personal. As the coach went over the final plays, I caught Ethan’s eye. He gave me a nod—nothing more needed to be said. We were in this together.

I pulled on my helmet, the weight of it settling over me like armor. I was ready to go to war, not just for the team, but for myself, for Sophia. Stepping onto the field, I could see Derek on the other side, already hyping up his teammates. He glanced my way, a cocky smirk tugging at his mouth. Fine. Let him think this was just another game.

For me, it was so much more.

The first quarter was brutal. Derek came out swinging, every pass he made finding its mark. It was like watching a machine—cold, precise, and relentless. He scored first, threading a perfect spiral through our defense that landed in the end zone. The Penn State crowd erupted, and Derek looked over, catching my eye again with that damn smirk. I clenched my jaw, fighting the urge to rush him down myself. But I couldn’t get reckless. I had to play smart.

Marcus answered back, driving down the field with his usual tenacity. He slipped past Penn State’s linebackers like they weren’t even there, cutting through their defense with sheer will. When he scored, our bench exploded. Marcus slammed the ball down, throwing a triumphant fist into the air. One for one. We were still in this.

But my foot—it wasn’t holding up the way I’d hoped. The sharp movements, the cuts I usually made so effortlessly, were slower, more deliberate. I couldn’t risk the shots I’d normally take, so I hung back, focusing on defense. Every time Derek tried to push through, I was there, blocking, cutting off his options. I wasn’t scoring, but I was holding the line. I was keeping us in the game.

It was tight all the way through the third quarter. Every play felt like a tug-of-war, neither side willing to give an inch. Derek’s frustration started to show—missed throws, angry shouts at his teammates. I could see it; he was cracking, and we were right there to take advantage.

And then came the final drive. It was Ethan’s moment. The clock was ticking down, each second feeling like an eternity. Marcus had the ball, dodging one, then two defenders before passing it to Ethan. I was right there, ready to block as Ethan tore down the sideline. The defense closed in, bodies crashing together, desperate to stop him.

Ethan cut left, dodged a tackle, then passed back to Marcus. Marcus took two steps, then flung the ball across the field—to me. I caught it cleanly, but Derek was right there, charging at me with everything he had. I pivoted, throwing the ball to Ethan just as Derek’s shoulder slammed into me. The hit rattled through my bones, but I kept my footing, watching as Ethan sprinted the last few yards.

The stadium noise fell away, everything narrowing down to Ethan and the goal line. He leapt, reaching out—and then, the ball was over.

The final whistle blew, and the field erupted with cheers. We had done it. We had beaten Penn State, beaten Derek. The feeling was electric, like all the tension of the past few weeks was finally released in that one touchdown. The team swarmed Ethan, lifting him onto their shoulders as the crowd roared. Marcus and I slapped hands, pulling each other into a hug. This was what it was all about.

We celebrated on the field, the energy flowing through us, high-fives, back slaps, the whole deal. I scanned the stands, and there she was—Sophia. She was standing near the front, beaming, her eyes sparkling with pride. I couldn’t help but smile back. Seeing her there, knowing she was part of this moment, made everything even sweeter. I jogged over to her, and she leaned over the railing, our fingers brushing as we exchanged a quick, silent connection. It was perfect.

But then, as I turned back to join the team, Derek called my name. I paused, surprised, but something in his expression made me nod. “I’ll be right back,” I told Sophia, giving her hand a quick squeeze before following Derek a few steps away from the crowd.

Derek looked serious, his usual arrogance tempered with something softer. “Look, Matteo, I just wanted to clear the air,” he started, running a hand through his hair. “I was hoping to get back with Sophia, but she’s made it clear that she’s moved on. She knows what she wants, and it’s not me anymore. I won’t be bothering you guys. Just… take care of her, okay? Don’t mess this up like I did. She’s… she’s an awesome person.”

I nodded, feeling a mix of relief and respect for the way Derek was handling things. “I won’t,” I promised. “Thanks, Derek.”

But before we could wrap things up, a voice cut through the tension. Ethan. He had been standing close enough to hear the whole conversation, and he didn’t look happy. “How the hell could she choose Matteo over you, Derek?” Ethan spat, frustration clear in his voice.

Derek stepped in immediately, his expression hardening. “That’s none of your business, Ethan,” he said sharply, ending the conversation with a firm tone. “It’s over. Let it go.” He turned and walked away, leaving Ethan fuming.

I sighed, turning to Ethan. “Bro, this is getting out of hand,” I said, trying to keep my own temper in check. “You need to back off. Sophia’s decisions are hers to make, not yours. This isn’t about who deserves her or not. It’s her choice.”

Ethan glared at me, his fists clenched. “You don’t get it, Matteo. She—”

“Enough!” I cut him off. “This isn’t the place for this. We’re a team. We need to act like it.”

Before things could escalate further, Coach Spencer stormed over, his expression thunderous. “What the hell is going on here?” he barked, glaring at both of us. “You want to fight, you take it off the field. This is a team, not a soap opera. Get your heads in the game, or get off my field!”

We both mumbled apologies, avoiding each other’s eyes. The celebration mood was dampened, and as we trudged off the field, Ethan and I exchanged one last tense look. This wasn’t over, but at least for now, we’d keep it off the field. As I walked back towards the locker room, I caught Sophia’s eye again. She gave me a small, reassuring smile, and I felt a flicker of hope. Whatever was going on with Ethan, whatever complications Derek had brought up, we’d figure it out. Together.