Chapter 7: Echoes of Home

As the evening settled, the garden was quiet where I sat, feeling a deep pang of homesickness. My phone suddenly rang, jolting me from my thoughts. It was my dad, Roberto.

“Hey, Sophia,” Roberto’s voice came through. “I wanted to check in. Derek’s been trying to get in touch with us.”

My heart skipped a beat. “Dad, why did he call you? Things are over between us. I’ve moved on. I’ve made new friends, started my literature classes. I’m doing well.”

“I just wanted to make sure you’re okay,” he said, concern evident in his tone. “Is he bothering you?”

“I’ve blocked him. Don’t worry about it,” I assured him. “I’m fine. Really.”

After hanging up, I saw Derek’s missed messages and a social media post hinting at unfinished business. Anxiety gripped me. I started hyperventilating, unable to catch my breath. The air felt thin and distant. My chest tightened, and I struggled to inhale.

Ethan, passing by, noticed my distress. He hurried over and knelt beside me. “Hey, are you okay?”

“I... I can’t breathe,” I managed to say between gasps. “I’m so anxious.”

“Just focus on your breathing,” Ethan instructed calmly. “In through your nose, out through your mouth. It’s okay. I’m here.”

His soothing voice guided me through the breathing exercises. Slowly, I began to regain control. I could feel my breath returning to normal, the tightness in my chest easing. Ethan stayed by my side, offering quiet support until I felt calm enough to move.

Once I was more composed, we settled on the steps of the dormitory porch, the quiet of the evening surrounding us. I took a few deep breaths, feeling the cool air help me steady myself.

Ethan hesitantly asked "If you feel comfortable may i ask what happened?"

“I don’t want to go into details,” I said quietly. “I’m just not comfortable sharing right now.”

Ethan nodded, his understanding evident. “I get it. My younger sister experiences anxiety too. I help her manage it since she’s with a foster family. I know how tough it can be.”

It was so surprising to see this side of Ethan, who knew that a quiet person like him was such a supprtive brother and had his secrets too. In that moment i was just grateful that he found me at the right moment.

I thanked Ethan, appreciating his empathy. We finished our conversation with a sense of mutual understanding. Later, I returned to the dorm only to find Emma wondering where i was.

Before she enquired i spoke up “Ethan was really helpful today,” I told her. “He’s not as bad as I thought. Emma had a cheeky smile on her face whicj i just rolled my eyes at. She began humming that " Marcus and I have been chatting a bit and i think we are bonding well.

In that moment i was just happy for her and myself that i was surrounded by such great people. College life was really treating me well i thought to myself.

Suddenly the phone flashed and to my surprise it was an unknown number

Unknown number : You cant run away! I  know your location now!

I rushed in my washroom excusing myself and felt the anxiety creeping up again. Suddenly i remembered what Ethan had told me focus on your breathing. Slowly inhale and exhale...

And my heartbeat was normal. I said to myself if Ethan's younger sister could do this so can I.

I didnt bother replying back and replayed the endless memories to find any person who would hurt me. Only name cropped up in my thoughts: Derek!

I could only imagine what was he upto. I feared that he would come to the campus and wreak havoc in my life. What if he spread false rumours and ruins my college life. No no i thought to myself this is just an irrational fear, washed my face and faked a smile heading out the door.