Chapter 21 : Judgments

Matteo's POV

Mateo sat in the captain's room, staring blankly at the wall, his mind spinning with everything that had happened lately. He felt a strange tightness in his chest, the weight of uncertainty pressing down on him. Marcus walked in, his expression serious, and Mateo looked up, forcing a half-smile. "Lately, everyone's so serious," Mateo said, trying to lighten the mood. "What's happened now? Seems like everything's just falling apart."

Marcus sighed and took a seat across from him. "Mateo, we need to talk about something."

Mateo leaned back, crossing his arms. "Great, more drama. What is it now?"

Marcus hesitated for a moment before speaking. "I know you spoke to Bianca. And yeah, she's unreasonable, no doubt. But that's not what I'm here for."

Mateo raised an eyebrow. "Okay... what's it about then?"

"Ethan," Marcus started. "Apparently, he went on an official date with Sophia today. It's like he's making his move or something."

Mateo's stomach sank, and he clenched his fists. "A date? So it's happening already, huh?" He tried to sound indifferent, but there was a hint of sadness in his voice. "Guess I'm too late."

Marcus observed him carefully. "You care about her, don't you?"

Mateo shrugged, trying to play it off. "I mean, yeah, I do. But Ethan's the safer choice, right? He's always been good to her, and he's got his head on straight. Maybe I don't stand a chance."

Marcus shook his head. "Look, I've seen how you look at her, how you care for her. It's more than just friendly concern, and you know it."

Mateo looked away, running a hand through his hair in frustration. "What am I supposed to do? She's on a date with Ethan. It's not like I can just jump in now. It's already set."

Before Marcus could respond, the door to the main hall burst open. Both of them turned to see Ethan storming in, his expression dark and angry. Mateo stood up quickly, crossing the room to reach him. "Ethan, what happened?"

Ethan's face was flushed, and his eyes were blazing with a mix of anger and something else Mateo couldn't quite place. "It's not my place to say," Ethan muttered, his voice tight. "But I don't think I can go on with Sophia after what I've learned."

Mateo felt his pulse quicken. "What do you mean? You've been into her for ages-what changed?"

Ethan rubbed his forehead, looking troubled. "Mateo, there are things you don't know, things from her past. I don't think I can look at her the same way now. I can't see her without that judgment clouding my view."

Marcus stepped forward, his expression firm. "Come on, Ethan. Whatever it is, it's in the past. You can't judge her now. Would you do that to Emma if she were in Sophia's place?"

Ethan's jaw clenched, his hands trembling slightly. "It's not that simple, Marcus. You wouldn't understand."

Mateo looked between the two of them, trying to piece together the missing parts. "Ethan, what did she tell you? Maybe it's not as bad as you think."

Ethan shook his head. "It's not my story to share. But all I know is I can't unsee what I've learned. If this were about my sister..." He trailed off, clearly torn. Without another word, Ethan turned and walked briskly to his room, leaving Mateo and Marcus standing there, bewildered.

Marcus glanced at Mateo. "Looks like your road might be clearer than you thought."

Mateo frowned, conflicted. "Ethan's a reasonable guy. If he's reacting like this, maybe... maybe it's serious. I don't know what to think anymore."

Marcus patted him on the shoulder. "You've got to make your own judgment, Mateo. Ethan's decisions are his own, but you can't just keep letting things slide by. If you care about her, you owe it to yourself-and to Sophia-to do something."

Mateo nodded slowly, his mind racing. As much as he tried to reason with himself, he couldn't shake the nagging feeling that this was his chance, the moment he needed to act before it was too late.