Chapter 19 : New bonds

The hallway felt endless as I made my way through the college, each step echoing louder in my ears. My heart raced, and every face I passed seemed to whisper behind my back. I kept my head down, trying to block it out, but the murmurs found their way in.

“Isn’t that her?”

“She’s the one with all the drama…”

“Did you hear about the frat party?”

The words twisted in my mind, sharper and louder with every step. It was high school all over again—the feeling of eyes burning into my back, the judgment, the isolation. My breathing quickened, and my chest tightened as if the walls were closing in around me. I tried to steady myself, but everything felt off balance.

My vision blurred, and I could feel the panic clawing its way up my throat. I couldn’t take it anymore. “Stop it! Stop it!” I screamed, clutching my head as if that could somehow silence the noise. But the stares only grew, and before I knew it, my legs gave out from under me. The world spun, and everything went dark.

When I came to, I was in the medical ward, the sterile smell of disinfectant stinging my nose. My head pounded, and I blinked against the harsh fluorescent lights above. Slowly, my eyes adjusted, and I saw Emma’s face first. Relief washed over her as she squeezed my hand tightly.

“Sophia, thank God,” she breathed, her voice shaky with worry. I tried to sit up, but my body felt heavy, weighed down by exhaustion and the lingering haze of panic.

“What… what happened?” I managed to croak out, my throat dry and my voice barely above a whisper.

Emma’s eyes were gentle, but there was a hint of sadness in them. “You fainted,” she said softly. “It was just too much, but you’re okay now. We got you here in time.”

I glanced around the room, my gaze landing on Ethan and Matteo standing a short distance away. Their faces were filled with concern, and for a moment, I couldn’t figure out why they were both here, together, in this room, looking at me like that.

“Why… why are you all here?” I asked, confusion making my voice waver.

Ethan stepped closer, his expression softer than I’d ever seen it. “We were worried about you, Soph. You scared us.”

I looked at Matteo, who stood silently, his eyes never leaving mine. He looked like he wanted to say something, but the words wouldn’t come out. I could see the worry etched on his face, and it caught me off guard. He cared.

I nodded, not trusting myself to speak. My mind was still swirling with everything that had happened. The whispers, the stares, Derek, Bianca—everything felt like too much all at once. I closed my eyes, trying to push it all away, but the weight of it lingered, pressing down on my chest.

I didn’t know what to say, didn’t know how to explain the mess of emotions tangled up inside me. All I knew was that Emma’s hand was warm in mine, Ethan’s voice was calm and steady, and Matteo… Matteo was here, too, looking at me with that mix of worry and something else I couldn’t quite place.

Maybe I didn’t have to say anything right now. Maybe, for a moment, it was enough that the people who mattered were here, waiting for me to find my footing again.

Ethan cleared his throat, catching everyone’s attention. “Can I have a moment with Sophia? Alone.”

Emma hesitated but nodded, glancing between Ethan and me before stepping out. Matteo was the last to leave, his eyes lingering on me, filled with unspoken guilt. He probably felt responsible for how everything had spiraled. Derek showing up, Bianca’s meddling—it all seemed to connect back to him somehow. But right now, all I could focus on was Ethan as he sat down beside my bed, pulling a chair close and taking my hand gently.

I looked at him, startled by the unexpected touch. “Ethan, what… what are you doing?”

Ethan gave a small, nervous laugh, squeezing my hand a little tighter. “Sophia, there’s something I should have told you a long time ago,” he began, his voice soft but serious. “I’ve watched you go through so much, and I know it’s not easy. I just… I don’t care about what happened in the past, okay? None of that changes how I see you.”

I felt overwhelmed, my heart pounding in my chest. “Ethan, I…”

He shook his head, cutting me off gently. “Let me finish. I know what it’s like to want to protect someone. I have a younger sister, and I always think about how I’d want someone to look out for her, to care about her without judgment. And I want to do that for you, Sophia. I like you—a lot. Maybe this isn’t the perfect time to say it, but I needed you to know before it’s too late.”

I stared at him, stunned by his confession. Ethan likes me? It was a lot to process, especially now. My mind was still reeling from everything else—the whispers, Derek, Bianca’s scheming. It was hard to wrap my head around Ethan’s sudden declaration.

Ethan must have seen the confusion on my face because he gave me a reassuring smile. “You don’t have to say anything right now. Take your time, think it over. I’m not expecting an answer today, or even tomorrow. I just wanted to be honest with you, that’s all. And I won’t hold it against you if you don’t feel the same way. Love isn’t about expecting something in return—it’s a choice.”

I nodded, my thoughts still tangled. “You’ve been so kind, Ethan. But I just… I need time. I need to figure out what’s going on with Derek and explain everything to Emma. She’s my roommate, and she deserves to know the truth about what’s been happening.”

Ethan smiled softly, releasing my hand. “Of course, Soph. I’m here whenever you’re ready. Just… take care of yourself first, okay?” He stood up and walked out, giving me a gentle nod as he left.

Emma rushed back in almost immediately, her face etched with worry. The second she saw me, her composure broke, and she pulled me into a tight hug. I clung to her, the tears I’d been holding back finally spilling over. Everything felt like it was crumbling around me, and Emma’s embrace was the only thing keeping me from completely falling apart.

Through shaky breaths, I told her everything—the whole story about Derek, the guilt I carried, and how he blamed me for what happened to my sister. Emma listened in stunned silence, her eyes wide with shock. When I finished, she held me even tighter.

“This isn’t your fault, Sophia,” she whispered fiercely. “You were just a kid. Derek has no right to make you carry this alone. You didn’t deserve any of it.”

I wiped my tears, my voice cracking as I spoke. “But he does, Emma. He blames me, and now he’s back, stirring everything up again. I don’t know how to deal with this.”

Emma pulled back, holding me by the shoulders and looking straight into my eyes. “We’ll deal with it together. I’m here, okay? Through thick and thin. You’re not alone in this, and your past doesn’t define who you are now.”

I nodded, my heart feeling a little lighter knowing Emma was by my side. She understood, and she didn’t judge me. In that moment, her support meant everything.

The weight of the day still lingered, but with Emma by my side and Ethan’s words echoing in my mind, I felt a glimmer of hope. Maybe, just maybe, I could start to find my way through this mess.