Chapter 25 : Run up to the Football tournament

Matteo's POV

Practice had been relentless lately. The football field was alive with the sound of boots pounding against the turf, the echoes of shouts, and the rhythmic thud of the ball. Marcus, Ethan, and I were pushing ourselves to the limit, but my mind was elsewhere. The argument with Ethan still stung, and the fact that Sophia hadn't been in touch for days only added to my frustration.

I was trying to focus on my drills, but the absence of Sophia weighed heavily on me. I wanted to reach out to her, but I didn't have her number. I thought about asking Ethan for it, but every time I tried to bring up Sophia, Ethan would shut me down.

"Can we just not talk about this?" Ethan snapped during a break. "We need to focus on the tournament. Sophia's gone, and we've got bigger things to worry about."

I felt a pang of disappointment. "I just want to know if she's okay. She hasn't been around for days."

Ethan's face hardened. "It's over, Matteo. Let's concentrate on the game. You're just wasting time talking about her."

I sighed, frustrated with Ethan's stubbornness. Marcus, sensing the tension, tried to lighten the mood. "Why don't we just focus on the tournament? We've got scholarships riding on this, and we can't afford to mess up."

Coach Spencer, our no-nonsense football coach, walked over, clearly agitated. "What's all this fuss about? I need you all to be on the field, not worrying about personal issues. You've got a game to prepare for!"

He directed his anger at Ethan and me. "Matteo, pass the ball properly! Ethan, you're missing goals left and right. Get your head in the game!"

I tried to refocus, but the frustration was overwhelming. Coach Spencer pointed at me. "Sit on the bench for a while, Matteo. You're not performing well."

I watched as Ethan, equally frustrated, struggled with his shots. He kept missing, and Coach Spencer's patience was wearing thin. "Ethan, if you don't get your act together, you'll be out of the team before the tournament even starts!"

Coach Spencer's voice was harsh, and the intensity of the practice ramped up. Ethan was scolded severely, his frustration evident as he threw the ball carelessly. Spencer called me back onto the field, but I couldn't shake off the heavy weight of my thoughts. My performance was lackluster, and Spencer's disappointment was palpable.

The practice dragged on with grueling drills. The football field was an endless cycle of sprints, drills, and relentless feedback from the coach. My legs ached with every step, and exhaustion began to set in. The intensity of the drills left me feeling drained, both physically and emotionally.

By the time practice was over, I was completely spent. My body ached, and I could barely move. I trudged back to the dorm, my mind still racing with thoughts of Sophia and the tension with Ethan. When I finally collapsed onto my bed, I had no energy left for anything else. I fell into a deep sleep almost instantly, hoping that tomorrow would bring some clarity and a chance to set things right.

The next morning, I woke up feeling utterly drained. My body ached, and the room seemed to spin around me. Exhausted from the relentless practice, I decided to take the day off. It was Sunday, after all, and a break seemed necessary. I planned to stay in the captain's house and maybe treat myself to a nice meal later.

As I stepped out of my room, I made my way to the common area where the couches were. To my surprise, I saw Ethan and Marcus huddled together, whispering about something serious. I was tired of all the heavy stuff and wished things could just be normal for once. I approached them, hoping for some clarity.

"Hey, what's going on?" I asked.

Marcus looked up and suggested, "Maybe we should discuss this in private. Let's go to another room."

Ethan, annoyed, stood up. "There's no need to hide things from me. I'm part of this too. I won't judge."

Emma, who had just entered, shot Ethan a cold glance. "There's no need for your input, Ethan. This isn't about you."

The conversation quickly escalated into a heated argument. Ethan was defensive, insisting he had the right to voice his opinions. "I'm an independent person. I can judge whoever I want. You don't know the whole story."

Emma responded with frustration, "Sophia shared her story with me, and I didn't judge her for her past. Derek came and apologized; he never had ill intentions. If you can't let things go, then maybe you're the one with issues. Sophia's a fool to think you were a good option for her when there are many better ones."

Ethan's anger flared, and he tried to retort, but Marcus intervened, urging Ethan to walk it off. Ethan stormed out, leaving the room with a scowl.

Emma, visibly upset, turned to Marcus and me. "Derek came to see me earlier. He wanted to give Sophia a diary that his sister had left for her. They share an emotional bond, and Derek wants to reconnect with her. He apologized for everything and meant no harm."

My mind raced. First, Ethan, and now Derek. It felt like there were constant obstacles in the way of Sophia and me finding happiness.

After Emma left i thought to myseld Why are there so many impediments in our story? Maybe i said it out loud, "It feels like it's never going to work out."

Marcus suggested, "If Sophia comes back, you need to tell her about your feelings. If Derek reconnects with her first, you might miss your chance. You have to be clear with her about what you want before it's too late."

I nodded, feeling a surge of determination. If Sophia came back, I would have to be honest with her. I needed to express my feelings and provide the clarity that she deserved. Otherwise, Derek might rekindle his bond with her, and I would lose my chance to make things right.