Chapter 28 : The Smile

Walking into class, I felt like I was practically glowing. Matteo’s confession was still dancing in my mind, filling me with a joy that I hadn’t felt in ages. I slipped into my seat, trying to stay composed, but the smile on my face just wouldn’t fade.

The professor gave me a curious look as I settled in late. “Sophia, you’re tardy. Any reason for that?”

I quickly explained, “Sorry, Professor. I had to go back home and handle some personal stuff. I got a bit delayed, but I’m here now.”

The professor nodded, letting me take my seat. I could feel Graham’s eyes on me. His curiosity was evident, and it made me wonder if my mood was that obvious.

After class, Graham caught up with me. “You seem pretty cheerful today. May i know the reason?”

I couldn’t help but grin. “I just got back from home. I had some things to sort out, but I’m feeling much better now. The break was exactly what I needed.”

Graham looked thoughtful. “We’re supposed to give our presentation today, remember? Ready for that?”

I nodded, “Yes, I’m ready.”

We quickly gathered our materials, and the professor excused the class for our presentation. Graham and I got up and delivered our analysis on a novel The Secret Garden" by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Diving into its complex plot and characters. The professor seemed genuinely impressed, nodding along as we spoke.

When we finished, the professor praised us. “Excellent work. Your understanding of the novel is impressive. So thats it for today. Class dismissed.”

As the room emptied, Graham asked, “I heard you and Ethan had a fallout. Is everything alright with that? And what about Matteo?”

I was surprised by how much Graham knew. “How do you know so much about this?”

Graham shrugged casually. “Tara mentioned it. She’s pretty talkative.”

I frowned, confused. I hadn’t spent much time with Tara recently and wasn’t sure what she’d shared. I made a mental note to ask Emma about it later.

Graham then invited me to another party he was hosting. “You should come if you can.”

I felt a bit wary but tried to be polite. “I’ll try to make it if I can.” Graham’s insistence felt a little off, but I didn’t want to make a scene.

Graham says," Don't worry i won't invite Derek or Bianca and I feel bad for ruining your week that day so you should come." I smiled and didnt respond but just nodded so that I can make a quick escape.

After that, I headed back to my dorm and then found Emma already back.
She bombarded me with questions, her eyes wide with anticipation. “So, what did Matteo say? Did he finally confess?”

I froze, my heart sinking. “You knew?” I asked, feeling both shocked and hurt.

Emma’s grin widened. “Of course, I knew! I’ve been waiting to hear all the details.”

I sighed deeply, sinking onto my bed. “He didn’t judge me, Emma. In fact, he fought for me with Ethan. He actually bruised him for me.”

Emma’s eyes lit up with approval. “That’s exactly the kind of guy you need! Ethan was completely wrong. You deserved an apology for how he treated you.”

I nodded, feeling a mix of relief and sadness. I had been reluctant to defend Ethan, realizing now that his actions were unjustified. I had opened up my most vulnerable experiences to him, only to be met with judgment.

Emma smiled warmly. “So, what’s going on with Matteo?”

I took a deep breath. “We’re taking things slow. We’re both on the same page about that.”

Emma’s face lit up with happiness. “That’s great to hear, Sophia! I’m so glad things are working out for you. Did you finally kiss?".

I am shocked to hear that question , " Really Emma l, not so fast!"

Emma exclaims, "Of course it took you guys so long to express your feelings. Why do i expect such a thing before your marriage?"

Sophia defends herself saying "I am bot old school I did kiss him on the cheek okay!"

Emma smirks " I knew it! Liar yournface said it all".

As I lay back on my bed, I thought about the remaining unresolved issues. There was only one person left to sort things out with.

Derek.