Chapter 43 :Meeting the parents

Sophia's POV

As soon as Matteo and I boarded the flight to Denver, the reality of what we were doing sank in. I was about to meet his parents, something that should be simple but felt monumental. My stomach churned with anxiety, my mind racing through every possible scenario. What if they didn’t like me? What if they still held onto the idea of Bianca, or worse, blamed me for all the drama that had unfolded? Matteo, sensing my unease, gave my hand a reassuring squeeze.

“You’re going to be great,” he said softly, his eyes filled with warmth and confidence. “They’ll love you, Sophia.”

I nodded, trying to mirror his optimism, but the nerves were hard to shake. Matteo was everything I wasn’t—confident, charming, and endlessly patient. We settled into our seats, and he wrapped an arm around me, pulling me close. We must have looked like the perfect couple because more than a few people smiled at us as they passed by. One older lady even leaned over and whispered, “You two look adorable together. Best of luck with whatever lies ahead.”

Her words brought a shy smile to my face. I snuggled closer to Matteo, trying to let his calmness wash over me. The flight was smooth at first, but as we began our descent into Denver, turbulence shook the plane. My anxiety spiked as the cabin rattled, my grip tightening on Matteo’s hand. He turned to me with a steady smile.

“It’s just a little turbulence,” he assured me. “We’re almost there.”

I nodded, taking deep breaths and focusing on his voice. The plane landed with a jolt, but we were safe. Matteo’s presence beside me made all the difference, and when we finally stepped off the plane, I felt a wave of relief wash over me. But it was short-lived as the next leg of our journey loomed: meeting his parents.

We drove through Denver, the city’s skyline giving way to quiet neighborhoods lined with trees. Matteo’s home was a beautiful, well-kept house that spoke of warmth and comfort, with a cozy garden out front and a porch that seemed perfect for family gatherings. Matteo’s family was clearly well-off, but the house felt inviting rather than intimidating.

“Home sweet home,” Matteo said, glancing at me with a reassuring smile. “You ready?”

I tried to steady my breathing as we walked up to the door, my heart pounding in my chest. Matteo’s parents greeted us warmly at the entrance. His mom, a graceful woman with kind eyes, pulled Matteo into a hug before turning to me. “You must be Sophia,” she said, her smile genuine but a bit hesitant. “We’ve heard a lot about you.”

“Good things, I hope,” I managed to say, my voice sounding steadier than I felt.

“Of course,” she nodded, then exchanged a look with Matteo. “Sophia, would you mind if we had a quick chat in the kitchen?”

I glanced at Matteo, feeling a surge of panic. He gave me a reassuring nod. “It’ll be okay,” he whispered, squeezing my hand.

In the kitchen, Matteo’s mom and I stood awkwardly for a moment before she took a deep breath. “I want to apologize,” she began, her voice soft. “For everything that’s happened, and for any part I played in it. I was too quick to judge, too eager to see things one way. But I can see how much Matteo cares for you, and that’s what matters most to me.”

Relief flooded over me, and I felt the tension in my shoulders ease. “Thank you,” I said sincerely. “I appreciate that more than you know.”

Matteo joined us soon after, and we all pitched in to prepare dinner. It felt surprisingly natural—Matteo chopping vegetables, his mom stirring something on the stove, and me setting the table. Matteo handed me plates, flashing me a playful smile that made my heart flutter. We moved around the kitchen like we’d been doing it for years, each small gesture weaving us closer together.

Over dinner, the conversation flowed easily. Matteo’s parents asked about our future plans, and Matteo spoke confidently about his aspirations to be an NFL champion. I shared my dream of becoming a writer, feeling more comfortable with every word. Matteo’s mom nodded approvingly, her initial hesitance fully replaced by genuine interest and warmth.

By the time we finished eating, the house was filled with laughter and the lingering aroma of a home-cooked meal. Matteo’s dad told stories from Matteo’s childhood, and we all reminisced about the ups and downs of the past few months. For the first time in a long while, everything felt right.

As we cleared the dishes, Matteo leaned close and whispered, “See? I told you it would be okay.”

I smiled up at him, grateful beyond words. “I couldn’t have done it without you.”

We stood together in the kitchen, surrounded by the warmth of family and the promise of a future we were building together. Matteo’s mom caught my eye and gave me a wink, as if to say, “Welcome to the family.” And as Matteo wrapped his arm around me, I knew that whatever came next, we’d face it side by side, stronger than ever.