Chapter 34 : A double date

Emma and Sophia had been scheming for days, and when they finally let us in on their plan, I couldn’t help but feel a rush of excitement. They wanted a double date tonight—just a chance for all of us to step out of our usual campus bubble and have some fun. Emma’s enthusiasm was contagious as she laid out the plan over a conference call with Marcus and me.

“Hey guys, Sophia and I were thinking—how about a double date tonight? We can dress up and head to that fancy restaurant downtown. What do you think?” Emma’s voice was full of energy and anticipation.

Marcus and I exchanged surprised looks. A double date? It wasn’t something I’d expected, but the idea sounded intriguing. “A double date? That sounds pretty cool,” I said, trying to sound as enthusiastic as I felt.

Marcus was quick to agree. “Yeah, I’m in. It’s been a while since we all went out together.”

Sophia’s voice added her own excitement. “Great! We’ll pick a time and place. We’re looking forward to it!”

I felt a wave of anticipation at the thought of spending the evening out with Sophia. It was settled. The plan was on, and I couldn’t wait.

When evening arrived, I found myself standing at the doorstep of Sophia’s dorm, nerves and excitement swirling together. The moment she and Emma opened the door, I was struck by how stunning they both looked. Sophia was dressed in a sleek, navy dress that highlighted her features perfectly, while Emma’s striking red gown was eye-catching and elegant.

“Wow, you two look amazing!” I said, genuinely impressed. “I think we’re definitely underdressed.”

Marcus echoed my sentiments. “You both look fantastic. We’ll need to step up our game!”

The girls beamed at our compliments, clearly pleased. Emma linked her arm with mine, and Sophia did the same with Marcus as we headed out to the restaurant.

The restaurant was upscale, with dim lighting and an elegant atmosphere. As we settled into our booth and reviewed the menu, the conversation naturally shifted to the recent football tournament.

“So, how’s the tournament going?” Emma asked, leaning in with genuine interest.

“It’s been intense,” I said, running a hand through my hair. “We’ve got some tough games ahead, but we’re holding up. The team’s doing well.”

Marcus nodded in agreement. “Yeah, it’s been a grind, but we’re pushing through.”

The conversation lightened as our food arrived, and we shared laughs about funny moments and memorable plays from the tournament. The atmosphere was relaxed, and for a while, everything felt carefree.

Then, Emma brought up Ethan. “I saw Ethan with Bianca this evening. They seemed to be in an intense conversation.”

Sophia’s expression tightened. “Really? What were they talking about?”

Emma shrugged. “I couldn’t hear clearly, but it looked serious.”

Marcus’s frown deepened. “That’s concerning. Maybe we should have a talk with Ethan. It’s clear there’s still some unresolved tension.”

We all agreed that Marcus should reach out to Ethan to smooth things over. The mood shifted back to lighter topics as we continued our meal, enjoying each other’s company.

When we returned to campus, Sophia and I decided to take a walk hand in hand. The cool evening air was refreshing, and the streetlights cast a soft glow over the campus. We strolled quietly at first, savoring the tranquility.

“Matteo, I wanted to talk about your mom,” Sophia began, her voice soft.

I sighed. “I know. She’s not thrilled about us. But I promise, I’ll do everything I can to show her that this is real. She’ll come around eventually.”

Sophia squeezed my hand. “I believe in us. And I believe she’ll see how much we mean to each other.”

I looked at her, determination in my eyes. “Thanks for understanding. I’ll make sure she sees it.”

As we walked, the evening’s serenity enveloped us. The campus was quiet, and the only sounds were our footsteps and the distant chirping of crickets. We walked close, our fingers intertwined, perfectly in sync.

As we passed the campus fountain, I pulled Sophia towards it, splashing her hand in the water. Her surprised gasp was followed by laughter as she playfully flicked water back at me.

“Oh, so it’s like that, huh?” I laughed, dodging her splash.

Sophia’s laughter was infectious. “Maybe. I’m just getting started.” She splashed again, and I couldn’t stop my own laughter from spilling out.

I wrapped my arm around her waist, pulling her close. We stood there for a moment, faces inches apart, the playful mood shifting to something more intimate. I looked into her eyes, my thumb gently brushing her cheek.

“Matteo…” she whispered, her breath catching.

I leaned in, resting my forehead against hers. “You have no idea how much I’ve wanted this,” I murmured. “To just be with you, like this.”

Sophia’s breath quickened, her heartbeat echoing mine. “I’ve wanted this too,” she admitted softly, tracing her fingers along my collar.

I tilted her chin up, our lips meeting in a kiss that was both tender and urgent. It was like every unsaid word and hidden feeling was poured into that moment. She responded eagerly, her hands finding their way to my shoulders as if to pull me closer.

The kiss deepened, a slow rhythm that made time feel irrelevant. My hands wrapped around her waist, holding her close as if afraid she might disappear. I could feel her warmth and the delicate strength of her hold, sending a shiver down my spine.

When we finally broke apart, breathless and flushed, I rested my forehead against hers, my smile soft and content. “You’re incredible, you know that?” I whispered.

Sophia laughed softly, her fingers tracing the outline of my jaw. “You’re not so bad yourself, Mr. Football Star,” she teased, but her eyes were full of affection.

We continued our walk, each touch and glance carrying unspoken promises. Occasionally, I’d pull her closer, pressing a kiss to her temple or whispering something sweet in her ear that made her smile.

As we passed a group of students practicing a late-night dance routine, I spontaneously pulled Sophia into a twirl. She laughed, spinning into my arms, and we swayed together, moving to a rhythm only we could hear.

“I promise,” I said softly, as we danced under the night sky, “no matter what happens, I’ll always find my way back to you. And one day, my mom will see what I see—how amazing you are.”

Sophia looked up at me, her heart full. “I believe you,” she whispered, and for the first time in a long while, I felt a deep sense of peace.

We stayed like that, holding each other under the stars, wrapped up in our own bubble of happiness.