Private (König)

König had always been a man of few words and even fewer personal connections. As a member of an elite unit, his life revolved around missions, tactics, and the camaraderie of his comrades. Yet, amid the chaos of his life, there was one constant, one light that had slipped into his life a few years back—Y/N.

They had met by chance, a fleeting moment that blossomed into something neither had anticipated. For the first time in his life, König found himself longing for more than just the battlefield. Their relationship had deepened over time, and about a year ago, they had decided to start dating. Yet, despite the strong bond they shared, König had kept Y/N a secret from his team. Not because he was ashamed, but because he cherished the simplicity and peace of their relationship, separate from the violence and danger that defined his daily life.

No one on the team knew about her. That is, until one day, König slipped.

It was a regular day at the base, with the team debriefing after a mission. König had stepped away to take a call, something he rarely did in the presence of others. The moment he answered, his demeanor softened, his tone dropped, and his voice, usually sharp and commanding, took on a warmth that was foreign to his comrades.

"Yes, I'll be home soon," he had said.

The room went silent. His teammates exchanged confused glances, their curiosity piqued. König, realizing his mistake, quickly ended the call and returned to his usual stoic self. But the damage was done—his comrades were relentless in their questioning.

"Who was that, König?"

"Home? You've got someone waiting for you?"

He brushed them off, refusing to divulge any details. They wouldn't let it go, though, hounding him for weeks, desperate to meet the mysterious person who had managed to crack the armor of their towering comrade. But König held firm, denying them any information, knowing that his personal life was something sacred, something he wasn't ready to share.

Then, just as suddenly as it had started, the pestering stopped. The team, who had been so eager to uncover the truth, backed off entirely. König found it odd, suspicious even, but with missions piling up and his mind occupied, he didn't give it much more thought.

As the weeks passed, life returned to its usual routine. König didn't celebrate his birthday. He never had, not in any significant way. The only exception had been the previous year, when Y/N had surprised him with a quiet, intimate celebration. It was just the two of them, and he had confessed to her that night that he'd never had a party just for him. It was a memory he cherished, a moment where he'd let his guard down completely.

This year, however, there was no mention of his birthday. Y/N hadn't brought it up, and he certainly didn't plan anything himself. So, when the day finally arrived, he expected nothing more than another quiet evening at home, perhaps with a simple dinner shared with Y/N.

But something was off the moment he got home.

The lights were out, which wasn't unusual, but the front door was unlocked—a red flag. Every instinct in him went on high alert. He could have sworn he heard something, a faint rustling that put him on edge. Slipping into soldier mode, König moved through the house with practiced stealth, ready for anything.

As he reached the living room, his hand hovered over the light switch. He took a deep breath and flipped it on.

"Surprise!"

The word echoed through the room as the lights blazed to life, and König stood frozen in shock. His teammates, the very ones who had hounded him for weeks, were all there, grinning from ear to ear. Streamers and balloons decorated the room, and a banner hung across the wall that read "Happy Birthday, König!"