Chapter 29: Bullet Point

(Y/N) POV

The night was less than eventful, no less because of what happened between the two of us, which preoccupied my brain, frying it while I was unable to hack Ilia's phone to completion. I knew what was going to happen after hearing what Ghira had to say. I had my doubts about them listening to me with an even greater chance of one faunus recognizing e for my past actions, and the potential effect of Ilia showing up to disrupt, which would make everything bleaker and his speech called out for apostasy.

Civilian: "Hurry up, they're about to start!" These are the main words I've heard for good reason. Nearby residents, shoppers, the press, and even tourists gained interest — having seen gathering before the Belladonna residents for Ghira's speech.

(Y/N): "It hasn't even started yet..." I haven't stressed as much since I was younger and dreading the coming days. I guess there is still more than survival to stress about, this felt like nothing yet it weighed more apparent with each ticking second that passed. As much as I desperately wanted to conceal my misdeeds – a single bump of encouragement from both my friends helped me ease off the edge, my mind off the past, and focus on the pleasant weather. It truly felt like my mind was being cleared–

Ilia: "Traitors!" The voice is distant, but obvious as to who. Right at the tip of tranquility – I was almost toppled by the mere thought of anger. I held off on the feeling, having rushed down towards the rally and brushed aside the bystanders; seeing their worried looks either out of concern or recognition which didn't bother me either way in the slightest. "Where was my help when my parents were killed in a dust mine?! Where?!"

(Y/N): "This right here is the hypocrisy and hatred that runs deep within the White Fang who work under Adam Taurus. Tell me how many lives have you ruined since you listened to him?" I strode along, working my way toward the podium.

Ilia: "Rich words for a murderer. This human had an attempt on Ghira's life years ago, yet he dares to show up on this island again with the intent of violence."

(Y/N): "Why don't you answer my question before you start making baseless accusations? Where was the mercy for the man that hardly had to do with the assassination? Where was the help of the thousands of innocent lives lost at the fall of Beacon? You may be the victim yet the man you look to as a shining light – when he shed as much blood as I have makes your group of hypocrites look like killers. I will admit, I have indeed taken action in the assassination–" The Belladonna guards came to encircle me, their pointed blades finding me as I stood undeterred, however, Ghira prolonged my arrest when he silently stopped them. "But my past actions have reason due to survival with a hit I thought was enough, but it was a single moment of hesitation that didn't make the killing blow that led to Ghira's survival all due to a man that changed my vision and was murdered for without trial by Adam Taurus. However, that doesn't excuse me from attempted murder. You, on the other hand, were willing to kill a faunus, Sun Wukong to hide the truth from the people. I thought I was irredeemable for every action I have made, but I was wrong when I began helping people." I raised my arm high; holding a singular paper for the people to see marked with the Atlas insignia and stamp. "This is a pardon from Atlas official Ironwood himself when he vouched for me. The past is not who I am anymore and will be held responsible for the past." We held glares at one another, feeling a smirk creep up on me, seeing her unholster her weapon and point it at me, naturally many stepped back at the sight.

Ilia: "You're right, you should be held responsible for your past."

(Y/N): "Then shoot me. It will only get my point across the board. Just another life willing to ruin in the name of Adam." I held my arms out, hearing the many murmurs coming from the crowd too indistinguishable from the next. Having to listen carefully, I caught the few thrown words 'staged' and 'real'. The pieces fell into place and I led her astray. Everything about her posture, her demeanor, and the very air spoke volumes as to what rattled in her mind: she wanted to pull the trigger.

Ghira: "Please! There is no need for confrontation–" A sound as powerful as thunder knocked her hand up, my mind unprepared for the thorny impact hard enough to steal the air from my lungs and my aura shattered as if my chest were to explode.

Shock spread more rampant than any disease as festering fear consumed the minds of many, some scattering to the wind for what they deemed safe. All of the Belladonna guards wasted no time coming to Ghira's aid.

Blake: "Dad!" The horror in her voice was apparent, gaining my attention quickly as my head cranked in the chieftain's direction. His head tilted and eyes widened and his right arm crossed over his chest clenching it – a trickle of red thinly but steadily flowing down his fingers and catching itself on his garb. His legs weakened and soon collapsed on the floorboards.

Ilia: "I..." The chameleon faunus was swiftly silenced and unable to process the guards that came to arrest her.

Sun: "Someone call an ambulance!" I began my approach for Ghira in the hopes that I could aid in any way possible. However, with guards securing the perimeter it quickly made it difficult to reach Ghira for some much-needed aid, zipping past them with my semblance as I appeared on the other side of Blake. Her face was streaming with tears of denial, and her mother was equally in shock. He didn't look to have lost too much of his life force. It was a small relief, but good news nonetheless I checked a pulse finding next to nothing pumping his veins and making clear where the bullet penetrated.

(Y/N): "He has at most five... maybe even six minutes–" My medical opinion was cut short when my arms were forcefully pulled back, armed Belladonna guards along with patrol officers flooded the area. One of which meandered in my direction.

Officer: "(Y/N), you are under arrest for the attempted murder of Ghira Belladonna and the pretense of staging the cheiftain's current assassination." My arms were shortly then restrained by said officer, but I didn't resist. Accepting the punishment as I was pushed away from Ghira and hearing the plead of innocence from my friends.

(Y/N): "At least get him to a surgeon for a heart transplant." Paramedics were quick to enter the scene a few moments later, only able to watch as they loaded him into a wagon and towed him away with great haste. Blake fought back her tears against the crowd of guards holding her back despite her mother's words, hearing the repeated words of forgiveness drowned out by the sounds of reporters pushing one another for their latest scoop.