ch 19

Gabriel

She finishes packing her suitcase. I look at the picture that was thrown on the floor. The two girls look so happy. I'm guessing they're Raven and Bethany. 

I glance up. She left one picture on her desk. A picture of her mom. I bite my lip and sigh.

I look at Raven. She's looking at the picture of her mom. Her expression blank and lacking any emotion. "We need to go before she comes back." I say. She nods but doesn't move. I take her hand and lead her out of the house. She grabs her suitcase as we walk. She shuts the door as leave.

I pull into my driveway. I'm still surprised my mom's home. She's not supposed to be back for another week. Something about a cruise.

We walk in and my mom walks up to us. "The apple pie's done. It's sitting on the counter if you want any." She says. "Thank you." Raven says. I nod.

***

Raven

We put my stuff upstairs. Then grab some apple pie. We all sit in the living room. Gabriel sits next to me and Sandy sits across from us. "So, do you have any siblings?" Sandy asks. I bite my lip. I see Gabriel tense beside me. "Um, well I had a sister." I say. She nods. "What is her name? When can I meet her? Your so nice I'm sure your sister is as well." She says. "Um, her name was Bethany and she's not alive anymore." I say mumbling the last part. Her smile falls. "Oh, I'm sorry." She says. I nod looking at the ground. Sandy clears her throat after a few seconds of silence. "What kinds of movies do you like?" She asks changing the subject. "Action mainly. I'm not really into romance stuff." I say. She nods in approval. The room gets silent again. A timer goes off in the kitchen. Sandy jumps up hurrying to the kitchen to get what ever she's making.

"Your mom seems nice." I say. He nods. Pots clatter in kitchen. "We need to find out why." I whisper making sure Sandy doesn't hear. He looks over to me and nods. "I know, but how?" He ask. "I think your brother would be helpful." I say breaking eye contact. "Oh, and how would that help. If anything it would make things worse." He says. I shake my head. "Just trust me on this one. I don't think you know your brother as well as you think you do."