chapter 46 |

I sucked my teeth, finding myself right back where I started

I sucked my teeth, finding myself right back where I started. It was my responsibility, but I gave the job to someone else. I knew better. I’ve gone soft from their help, relying on them too much. She called me and I wasn’t there and when I finally showed up, it was too late, she was already distant from me. “I’m going alone to get her back.” 

“What?” Some said while the others rattled made evident they disapproved, but my patience is low, and my anger is high. I need to go alone.

“We’re coming with you.” Miska barged her way to an unwanted invite. 

“You will be in my way.”

Carina fixed her mouth to say, “We already agreed we will help you.”

“But you have been doing a terrible job. You are useless to me at this point.” 

“I told you before that I am the chief of my village.” 

“And I asked you as a friend, not your Alpha! All of us are far away from home, I am not your leader. I stopped you from hurting that girl out of decency, not competition. For God sakes I trusted you with Gem. And what's even worse.” I stepped up to her face to whisper. “I know where your heart lies. I was doing it for you, too. Gemma needs to be protected at all costs, or I will lose everything. You knew that is why you came, but somehow,  your focus shifted, and I know why. You are to insert dominance, but I am not your competitor. And I am also not your concern. So I’m going alone.” 

“I'm coming with you.” Quinn packed up over his shoulder. 

“I don't think that's a good idea.” 

“She is my sister. It’s not a negotiation.” 

“No it's not” And I took off into the woods alone, leaving them all behind. Like I said, I am going alone. They want to find her on their own. It is fine with me, but it is time to be about us from all the distractions. Where are you? He must have blinded her because I don’t know what direction to go. She is at this place, but there is no trail there. Sigh, it's going to be harder than I thought. She could be anywhere.