chapter 47 |

Racing northeast feeling her from that coast. A premonition flashed through my vision. I have a surprise for you. It was Cage talking to Gem. I’m not interested, twisting her body in the opposite direction. Oh honey, but it’s about you. The witch makes her presence known with her arms up in grace. What are you doing here? Gemma stands from her seat. What is happening? Why am I seeing this? I watch on.

I thought you were on our side? Gem seemed concerned as she inches away from Vine. He summoned me here to take care of a problem. What problem? My mate is getting closer to the door. Your string that connects to the arctic wolf, I am here to cut it loose. No! My poor lover ran out the door, barely able to move in her dress, but she caught up to her, and my vision went blank. My heart stopped. I no longer feel her.

Vine cut the connection I printed on her. I halted at a complete loss, standing in the middle of the forest with the Owl in the distance. This just made it ten times harder. The only thing I got going is that she is in the northeast, and I still have her scent. I have to do it the old-fashioned way. If he lay a hand on her, there won’t be a trace left of him.

“Good God, I caught up to you.” Wooly huffing a breath with his hands on his knees. “Sorry but you’re my leader, I have to guard you. After what you did for me back at the village, I owe you my life.”

“It was nothing.”

“Well it was something to me. You’re my leader now. And I will help you find your mate. Now lead the way.”

“I can’t.’

“Why not?’

“Vine cut our connection with these magic scissors.”

“Ah, the blades of the universe. It’s temporary.”

My brows raised. “How do you know?’

“Because you can’t beat fate. The string rejuvenates.”

“How long does it take to repair?”

“A week or sooner. Depends on how strong your bond is.”

“Quicker If she was bearing your child.”

My mood lightens. “Let’s go. By the way, what did the rest decide to do?”

“They went their separate ways.”

“Alright.” I traveled to the highest tree to express my silent goodbyes. It was for the best. Wherever their hearts go next, it is their choice. A sudden flicker of light blinded my eye, and within the clearness, I observed Quinn fastening his helmet under his chin and settling onto his motorcycle. The sunset as he looks through his music and waves the CD, this is the one and pops in Mobb Deep, Survival. Then, he rammed up his motor, taking off along the road.

My parents hug each other, talking to Xann with big smiles. And whatever his response was, I got my mom in tears as she pulled out her purse to show pictures of my childhood to my biological father. He gazes at them with wrinkles in his cheeks as he holds his mouth. I must look a lot like Ember because he could have found me all these years, but he stayed away, our hair, our eyes. All the same, I bet. I love my parents, but what they did to my mother is unforgivable. And now I had the audacity to kidnap my mate. I think it’s about time they return to Mother Earth.

I spot Carina staring at me. No hard feelings. I salute her, wishing her the best on her journey. Miska was nowhere in sight. And with that, I left to find my woman. The audacity, he really knows how to cross the line. Touching what doesn’t belong to him. I have been holding back what I can become because I don’t want to scare my mate, but he brings it out of me. I know his angel but jokes on him. I was already the nightmare. That little woman is who has a hold on me to be a better man.

Maybe I can do that after I save you.

Through the trees, Wooly and I try to sniff her out. Mother earth covers and changes so much that this will be difficult. All I know is she went north east, so that’s where I will go. They may have cut the strings, but we have built our connection. It’s nothing but reconstruction.