Baby's out prt. 2

Yoongi remained by Nayeon's side, the stillness of the room heavy after the emotional whirlwind they had just endured. Outside, the hospital continued to buzz with life, but inside this small room, time seemed to slow down. The baby nestled against Nayeon's chest let out small, peaceful breaths, unaware of the tragedy swirling around them.

Nayeon traced the baby's cheek with her fingertip, her tears falling silently now, too exhausted to cry more. She had given everything she had to bring this new life into the world, but the joy she should have felt was tainted by fear and uncertainty.

"I don't know how to do this without him, Yoongi," she whispered, her voice barely audible. "He was supposed to be here... He was supposed to see our baby."

Yoongi's heart clenched. He wasn't one for deep conversations, but seeing Nayeon, who was usually a pillar of strength, so broken, made him feel an immense sense of responsibility. He had always admired her for her resilience, her toughness. Now, she looked fragile, like she could break at any moment. He sat beside her and gently placed a hand on her shoulder.

"You don't have to do this alone," he said quietly. "We're all here for you. And Bambam... he's still fighting. He's not gone."

Nayeon didn't respond immediately. She continued to stroke her baby's head, the soft tuft of hair reminding her of Bambam. She thought about all the times they had argued, laughed, and dreamed about this moment. It was supposed to be perfect. Instead, it felt like she was holding on to threads of hope, fragile and uncertain.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Dr. Kim Taehyung stepped inside, still in his scrubs, looking worn out but composed. His eyes softened when he saw Nayeon holding the baby, but he quickly returned to the task at hand.

"Nayeon," Taehyung began, his voice calm. "I just came from the OR. We've done everything we can for Bambam. He's stable for now, but he's in a coma. The next 24 to 48 hours will be critical."

Nayeon closed her eyes as the weight of his words sunk in. "A coma?" she repeated, her voice cracking. "What are his chances?"

Taehyung hesitated, choosing his words carefully. "There's no way to know right now. He sustained significant brain trauma, but his vitals are strong. We've seen patients recover from worse. But we need to be realistic."

The room fell silent. Nayeon's mind raced, trying to grasp the enormity of what Taehyung was telling her. Bambam was alive, but the future was uncertain. There was a possibility he would never wake up, that he would never meet their child, never be the husband and father they had dreamed of.

Taehyung moved closer, his expression softening. "I know this is a lot to take in. You've been through so much today, but I need you to rest, Nayeon. You and the baby both need your strength. I'll keep you updated on Bambam's condition, I promise."

Nayeon opened her eyes and looked up at Taehyung, her face pale and tired. "Thank you," she whispered, her voice barely a breath.

Taehyung nodded, offering her a small, reassuring smile before quietly leaving the room.

After a few moments of quiet, Nayeon finally looked at Yoongi, who hadn't moved from her side. "I don't know what to do," she admitted, her voice shaking. "I'm a doctor, and I know what this means. I know what could happen, but I can't think about it. I just... I just need him to be okay."

Yoongi leaned forward, his hand still on her shoulder, offering comfort in the only way he knew how. "You're not going to lose him," he said firmly. "Not today. Not while you've got this little one who needs you. And Bambam-he's tough. He'll fight to come back to you both."

Nayeon took a shaky breath, tears welling up again. She wanted to believe Yoongi's words. She needed to believe them. But there was a part of her, the part that had seen countless patients and families endure this kind of pain, that understood the fragility of life in moments like this. She looked down at her baby again, her heart aching with both love and sorrow.

"I'll fight too," she murmured. "I'll fight for both of them."

---

The hours passed slowly, marked by the rhythmic beeping of monitors in the hospital and the soft sounds of her newborn. Nurses came and went, checking on Nayeon and the baby, offering small smiles of encouragement. But Nayeon's mind was elsewhere, torn between the fragile hope for Bambam's recovery and the reality of being a mother now, alone in this moment.

Sana returned later in the evening, her usually bright face shadowed with concern. She quietly walked over to Nayeon's bedside, her eyes flickering to the baby sleeping peacefully in Nayeon's arms. "Hey," she said softly, sitting down beside her. "How are you holding up?"

Nayeon gave a weak smile, brushing a tear from her cheek. "I don't know," she admitted. "I'm happy and scared at the same time. I should be celebrating, but..."

Sana reached over and gently touched Nayeon's hand. "It's okay to feel everything at once. No one expects you to be strong all the time."

The two women sat in quiet solidarity, the weight of the day hanging between them. Nayeon looked at her baby, a small light in the darkness she was feeling, and whispered, "I just want Bambam to wake up. I want him to see this."

Sana's heart ached for her, but she knew there was nothing more she could say. All they could do now was wait.

---

Down the hall in the ICU, Bambam lay still in his hospital bed, hooked up to countless machines, his head wrapped in bandages from the surgery. Jin stood outside the room with Taehyung, both doctors exchanging quiet words about Bambam's condition.

"We did everything we could," Jin said, his voice low. "Now it's up to him."

Taehyung nodded, his face serious. "And up to time."