Back in the game-1

Nayeon's pov:

"In surgery, precision is everything. The smallest mistake, the slightest hesitation, can mean the difference between life and death. That's why I've always been ruthless - with my patients, my colleagues, and myself. But something shifts when you're responsible for more than just a patient on the table. When there's another life that depends on you - one you can't fix with a scalpel or sutures - everything changes. But one thing remains constant: the need to be the best."

---

It had been six long months since Dr. Im Nayeon had last scrubbed in. As she walked through the bustling hospital corridors, her white coat felt like a second skin again. The sterile smell of antiseptic and the constant beep of heart monitors welcomed her like old friends. She was back where she belonged.

But as she rounded the corner toward the residents' lounge, she overheard the familiar voices of her interns. They were arguing, which wasn't unusual, but what caught her attention was the subject of their debate.

"Twenty surgeries? No way, I had at least thirty in the past month," Jungkook boasted, arms crossed confidently.

Jihyo rolled her eyes. "Please, you were in plastics half the time. That doesn't count. I've been doing the real work in cardio."

"Whatever," Dahyun chimed in. "You two can argue all you want, but I've been in the OR every single day. I'm definitely leading in cases."

Yoongi smirked from his usual quiet corner. "You're all delusional. Trauma beats them all. I've had the most critical cases by far."

Sana, who had been quietly sipping her coffee, finally spoke up. "Why are we even keeping track? We're all just trying to survive."

Jungkook grinned. "Simple. Bragging rights."

Just as they were about to continue, Dr. Im stepped into the lounge, and the room fell silent. She raised an eyebrow, her usual stern expression in place. "Bragging rights, huh?"

The interns immediately straightened up, a mix of surprise and respect on their faces. They hadn't expected her to hear them, much less to make a comment about it.

"Since you're all so interested in keeping score," Dr. Im continued, her tone sharp but laced with a hint of amusement, "let's make it official."

The interns exchanged curious glances, unsure of what she was about to propose.

"For the next month, I'll be keeping track of every surgery each of you completes. Every case will be assigned points based on difficulty, complexity, and your performance." She crossed her arms, her eyes glinting with the challenge. "The one with the highest score at the end of the month wins a special prize."

Sana's curiosity piqued. "What kind of prize?"

Dr. Im smirked. "That's for me to know and for you to find out. But trust me, it'll be worth it."

The room buzzed with excitement as the interns whispered amongst themselves. It wasn't just a game anymore-it was a competition, and none of them were willing to back down.

"You have a month. Let's see who's really the best," Dr. Im said before walking away, leaving the interns both thrilled and anxious about the challenge ahead.

---

**Later, in Dr. Im's Office**

After the excitement of the day, Dr. Im sat at her desk, reviewing patient files. The hospital was still as hectic as she remembered, but something about being back in the thick of it felt... right.

She glanced at the picture on her desk - a tiny newborn with her same dark eyes. A soft smile tugged at her lips. For months, she had questioned if she could balance it all - motherhood and surgery - but now, sitting here, she realized she hadn't lost her edge. If anything, she was more determined than ever.

"This is just the beginning. Being a mother hasn't made me weaker. If anything, it's made me stronger. I've already proven I can be the best surgical resident in this hospital. Now, I'll prove I can be the best mother, too."

Her phone buzzed with a message from Boo Yong-joo:

_"How does it feel to be back?"_

She smiled, typing a quick reply:

_"Like I never left."_

Tomorrow, the competition would begin, and her hungry interns would throw themselves into the challenge, each trying to outdo the other. But Dr. Im wasn't worried. She knew she had trained them well, and now, she would watch them grow.

As she locked up her office and prepared to leave, her mind wandered back to her own early days as an intern. She had been just like them - eager, competitive, and determined to prove her worth. But now, as she navigated the balance between her demanding career and her new role as a mother, she knew there were more important things than just being the best surgeon.

But that didn't mean she wouldn't push her interns to their limits.

After all, a little competition never hurt anyone.

---

"Surgery is about control - over the body, over the situation, and most importantly, over yourself. But sometimes, life throws you into a situation you can't control. That's when you learn what you're really made of. I've faced challenges before, but none like this. And I'll face this new chapter the way I face every surgery: with precision, determination, and no fear of the outcome."