Building bridges

It's a sunny Saturday morning, and Conrad is at the park with Gigi. They're playing on the swings when Kyle shows up with a small bag of toys.

"Hey, Conrad! Thought I'd join you guys if that's okay," Kyle says, a bit hesitant but hopeful.

Conrad is a bit surprised but nods, appreciating the effort Kyle is making. "Sure, the more the merrier."

Kyle sits down on the bench, watching Conrad push Gigi on the swing. He pulls out a nurse doll from the bag and hands it to Gigi, who giggles and reaches for it, her tiny hands grabbing it with delight. As Gigi sees the nurse doll, her eyes light up, and she exclaims, "Mama!" Both Kyle and Conrad share a surprised look, touched by Gigi's innocent gesture.

Kyle, with a smile on his face, turns to Conrad and asks, "She knows who her mama is, huh?"

Conrad chuckles softly, a mix of emotions swirling inside him. "Yeah, she sure does. Kids have a way of seeing things, don't they?"

As Gigi plays with the doll, Conrad and Kyle sit down on the bench, talking about old times and catching up on each other's lives. The conversation is a bit awkward at first, but they slowly start to find common ground.

"I've been thinking a lot about our friendship. I want to be there for you and Gigi, not just as a friend but as someone you can rely on," Kyle says sincerely.

Conrad looks at Kyle, sensing the sincerity in his words. "I appreciate that, Kyle. It's going to take time, but I'm willing to try."

Just then, Gigi giggles again, her joy infectious.

Both men laugh, the tension easing as they focus on Gigi. "She's amazing, Conrad. You're doing a great job with her," Kyle says.

Conrad smiles, feeling a renewed sense of hope. "Thanks, Kyle. Let's take it one step at a time."

After feeding the ducks, Gigi starts to get fussy, her little face scrunching up as she begins to whine. Conrad picks her up, bouncing her gently in his arms. "Hey, Gigi, it's okay. What's wrong, sweetheart?"

Her cries get louder, and Conrad looks around, feeling a bit helpless. Then he remembers a song Nic used to sing to calm her down. Taking a deep breath, he starts to sing softly, his voice a bit shaky at first.

"Hush, little baby, don't you cry, Daddy's gonna sing you a lullaby..."

But Gigi's fussiness doesn't subside. Conrad's voice falters as he tries to think of what to do next. Kyle steps forward, gently taking Gigi from Conrad's arms. "Let me try something," he says.

Kyle pulls out his phone and scrolls through his voicemails. "Nic and you recorded this for her," he explains. "In case she was with Marshall or me and we couldn't get her to calm down."

Conrad looks surprised. "I completely forgot about that."

Kyle plays the voicemail, and Nic's soothing voice fills the air, followed by Conrad's. "Hey, Gigi, it's Mommy and Daddy. We love you so much, and we want you to know everything's okay."

Gigi's cries begin to quiet down as she hears the familiar voices. She snuggles into her grandpa Kyle's arms, her little body relaxing.

Conrad watches in amazement as Gigi calms down. "I can't believe I forgot about that voicemail," he says, a mix of relief and gratitude in his voice.

Kyle smiles, gently rocking Gigi. "It's okay, Conrad. You're doing your best, and that's what matters."

They sit back down under the tree, Gigi now peacefully asleep in Kyle's arms. The moment feels like a quiet triumph, a reminder of the strength and love that binds them together.