Chapter 43: Safe and sound

I'm opened my eyes to see my father sitting next to me. "Dad." I whispered and showed a little smile. "Carl." Was all he said and smiled back at me. I looked around, and the familiar hospital room I tend to wake up in. "Where is everyone?" I asked curiously. "I bet Kaitlin and Maeve are hanging out. Evan and Max are probably causing trouble somewhere. The detectives are well... Being detectives." "What about everyone else? Like Maggie and Glenn? Sam or Dean?" I asked. I hadn't thought about them in a long time, I guess I've had other things on my mind. "Our group isn't here. And I lost Sam, Dean, and Castiel when I came here, I was just focused on finding you. But I bet they're focusing on saving the world- or whatever they do." Dad said as he stood up and stretched. I felt like a rock that hadn't been touched in centuries. "How long have a been asleep?" I asked cracking my back. "About three days." He laughed holding his hand out. It's been that long? Wow!
"What?" I asked wondering what he was doing with his hand. "I figured you haven't move much in three days." He chuckled. I took his hand and tried to stand up normally, but I fell and he had to catch me. "Slow down, take your time." I balanced myself with out putting pressure on my knee. Oh right that thing. "Wait a second." My dad said turning around.
He grabbed- as guessed, a pair of crutches, fit for my height. "Uh thanks." I put them in their place under my shoulders. I "walked" behind my father as we went down the hallway. We reached an elevator and got one to ourselves. "Hey dad?" I asked. "What?" "Are we ever going to see our group again?" He looked away and sighed. As soon as the elevator doors shut, I grabbed ahold of the railing with one arm and held it tight. I took deep breaths as we went down each floor. "Well this world is safe Carl... And it's better here." He said. "So we're just gonna abandon our group? This place isn't that safe either! Look at all that's happened here!" I raised my voice. "Yeah and look what's happened there! For Christ's sake the walkers Carl! Is that how you want your life to end? Having your guys ripped out by a dead person?" He asked. I heard a ding, but I ignored it. "Well that's the life we were supposed to live! We just happened to be brought to this world! Our group relied on you, and you just want to leave them there to be ripped to shred by the dead?" I yelled. "Uh Carl.." My dad began but interrupted him. "No! I can't pretend like our other life never happened!" "Carl!" He yelled looking towards the doors still. "What-" I looked where he was looking, and apparently that din was the doors opening. We had caught a bunch of people's attention. "Uh he's still a little out of it from his medication." My dad claimed making everyone go back to their doings. I then noticed one person that didn't, and it was Payson. "Payson!" I said greeting her. I "walked" over to her, and my dad followed. "Glad to see your awake." She smiled. I smiled back, and she said, "I never thought I'd be at a hospital again! It's so different here now!" Payson and I had a lot in common, and I just realized. "Yeah I know it's interesting." I said. "So this is your father right, good to see you on better terms Mr.Grimes." She said politely as she brushed a piece of her blonde hair behind her ear. "Yes it is. Oh and please, call me Rick." We all stood there awkwardly for a moment, when Payson asked, "So are you going back?" She did pay attention to what my dad and I were talking about. "I don't know, apparently we just abandon people know." I answered sarcastically earning a look from my father. "Wait, she knows?" He asked. "Yeah... I kinda told her." I said looking away quickly. "It's okay I would never tell anyone Mr.- uh Rick." She assured him. "And hey we're not abandoning any one." My dad told me. "So we're going back!" I smiled a real smile. "If you do, I want to come." Payson didn't ask, she stated. "Wait I don't think-" she interrupted me. "Don't tell me what I can and can't do. I've spent more then half my life in hell here, I think it's okay if I leave." She told us. I looked at my dad, and he shrugged his shoulders. "Then I guess it's a yes!" Payson smiled. She had such a bright smile, I don't know how, considering everything she's been through.
*TWO HOURS LATER*
"Thanks for helping us. So this will bring us back to our place?" My dad asked Maeve. Maeve, and Max and Evan showed us the portal that brought Them to our world in the first place. "This is where I went through." Maeve said. we got the whole story of how they got there in the first place. "Are you sure you don't want to come back?" I asked. "No, I think we're gonna stay and look for our family." She said. I hugged Maeve, and whispered, "Thanks for everything." She hugged me back and whispered, "I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you." I then shook hands with Evan and Max, and turned to Kaitlin. She hugged me, and i hugged her back. "It's been interesting." She whispered. "Yeah, we may have met at the worst terms, and get to see each other in the worst cases, but I'm glad I've gotten to know you." I whispered back. We let go of each other, and she said, "Maybe my brother will hit you with his car again someday." We all laughed. "Wait you were hit by a car?" My dad asked with a little tension. "A story for another time." I laughed. We stood there for awhile, when Maeve said, "Oh just jump in already! Before I keep you here!" "Who's first?" Evan asked. They took the boards away, leaving just what looked like a black pit. Dad through the crutches down the whole, which I would need later. "Wait don't I deserve a hug?" Max said meaning to sound flirtatious. I limped over the the whole, and jumped in.
As I fell to what most people thought was death, I fell to the place I call home. Things would be as "Normal" as they used to be, and I decided to try to make peace with it. Everything would be okay, or as close to okay, as it could be.