•Chapter 21•

By the time Link got back to Ilia and Renado, he had large bags under his eyes and he needed a good shave again. He was very tired and need a small nap.

"Well?" Renado asked eagerly.

Midna came back from being a shadow and stood before them all. "Link needs a break. He's exhausted."

"Midna...no I'm fine. This could be the last thing." He pulled out the charm.

"What is it?" Renado asked.

But Ilia gasped.

Everyone turned and looked at her. She was actually smiling.

"I knew you once." She closed her eyes and inhaled. "This is all so familiar. There's a scent of hay... Long ago, when we were young, Link and I were together. Link was always there, always beside me. No matter what."

A single tear rolled down her face.

Link was staring at her, his heart pumping against his rib cage. Midna wasn't staring at Ilia like the rest of them. She was staring at Link.

Ilia looked up and smiled at Link. "Link."

He wasn't aware of his surroundings. He wasn't aware that Renado and everyone else had left the room to give them some privacy. He wasn't aware that the children were watching through the window, only to leave (and pull Talo away when he wouldn't). He wasn't aware that Midna had turned into a shadow. Joy was exploding through him. His best friend was back. Her memories...all back. They had known each other since the day they were born. Always taking care of each other when they were growing up. And now...she was back.

"This gift was meant for you." Ilia was turning the charm over and over again in her hands. "This was supposed to be before you went to Hyrule Castle to help Princess Zelda."

Zelda.

The name shot like a hot arrow through his heart. He had been ignoring his sadness, plunging himself into helping everyone else, just to numb it all. And now it was like that illusion was shattered. Shattered into a thousand pieces. Ilia, so full of hope, reminding him of where he had started: Castle Town, being told by Zelda to go see Midna and help them all.

Ilia held out the charm to him. "Please...take it."

"Of course, Ilia." He held open his hand and she placed it in his palm.

"It's also for Epona in a way. If you use this whistle, the sound will travel over great distances. She'll come running to help you."

"Really?" Link examined every part of it.

"Really. Link, you don't need to worry about me anymore. Whenever you return, I'll be waiting for you."

~•~

When Renado brought Link food, he wolfed it down. He was starving. And exhausted. Midna had been right. Speaking of the imp, she hadn't made an appearance in awhile.

"Remember what I said about the rod of the heavens?" Ilia was saying. "Well, actually, it was about the messenger of the heavens who held the rod. Impaz told me about it. Supposedly, they've guarded something for the heavenly messenger for generations, so they await him."

A bell went off in Link's head.

"I can't leave this place until a certain person arrives."

"...but they can't give this item away until the messenger arrives with the rod. That's why Impaz couldn't leave unfortunately. What do you think it all means, Link? Link?"

Link was dashing out the door. "Sorry, I just remembered something!"

"But you need rest!" Renado yelled.