Chapter 5

-Your Pov-
Rose looked really worried. Who was this Sea witch and what did she want. Rose grabbed my wrist and dragged me to a part of the reef I hadn't seen yet. "I can't go with you on trial. Good luck!" Rose whispered in my ear as I was escorted into a huge room. In the center of the room sat a mermaid with long black hair and a fuchsia colored tail. She gestured for me to sit in the chair across from her. "Well, well, well, what do we have here?" She paused for a second analyzing my features. "A human? My, my, isn't this a surprise?" My eyes widened, and she smiled. "I take it that's a yes" I nodded. The Sea witch raised her voice and said "according to our laws, humans are not allowed in, or near are community!"

Oh god, what's going to happen to me... I heard the door bang open. Were the guards coming to get me? I hear yelling. Was she giving them orders? I look up. Feferi? She was arguing with the Sea witch? She was helping me? She barley even knew me...

After what seemed like hours of bickering they finally came to an agreement. "(Y/N) are now granted citizenship if, and only if you agree to not share our secrets when you are in human form." She explained that I was not to reveal myself to a human, or while I was in human form tell anyone about the existence of merpeople. I agreed and left the court room with Feferi.

I kept my head down the entire way back. She knew what I was. She is going to tell everyone. They are all going to hate me. "(Y/N), being human isn't somefin to be ashamed about." Feferi said lightly. "I'm not ashamed of being human..." I answered her quietly. "Then what are you ashamed of?" She asked me calmly and reassuringly. I stopped swimming, and looked her in the eyes. "I'm ashamed of being a mermaid" I new the words were true when they escaped my lips. I felt tears welling up in my eyes and the pain of what I said stabbing my heart. "Clam down (Y/N)... Everyfin is gonna be alright." Feferi tried to calm me down.

I broke down and let my feelings shatter. Then I hugged her. "E-everything seems t-to get worse a-and worse." I sobbed. She hugged me back and started calming me down. "(Y/N) it's time we tell the others." Feferi said calmly. "When?" I asked nervously. "How about in an hour at our regular meeting place?" I nodded and she swam away. How am I going to say this...

An hour later I arrive at the cave we always meet at. I could hear all the voices from inside bickering. I took a deep breath and entered. Everyone went quiet. I took another deep breath and looked at Jake for help. He smiled at me reassuringly. "I have something I need to tell you guys..." I said just loud enough for them to hear. "I'm a human..." I said the last three words quickly to get it over with. I looked down letting the tears disappear into the water. They started bombing me with questions. "Really?" "Why are you here?" "What do you want with us?" "Humans don't belong here!" I couldn't take it. There questions and statements were clouding up my thoughts and feelings. I swam away as quickly as I could, and went to the cave where I met Karkat. He didn't deserve any of my pain. He didn't deserve someone like me as a friend. I surfaced and propped myself up on a few rocks. All I want is to be me again.

-Karkat's Pov-
"DAMMIT!" I yelled slamming my fist on the table. She was gone. How could I be falling for someone? How could I like someone so innocent? She's nothing like me. It took all I had to not curse, or yell at her. "FUCK! FUCK! FUCK!" I punched the table repeatedly. I Karkat Vantas was falling for a girl. This can't be happening!

I took a few deep breaths and calmed down. Why does the past always repeat itself? I tried running away last time, running away from all the guilt and pain. I need to protect her from me. All I do is hurt people. I. Can't. Hurt. Her.

I was finally calmed down enough to think things through and call the only person I could think of. "HELLO NEPETA" I yelled into my phone when she finally answered. "Hello Karkitty!" She squealed excitedly because I never call her. "WANT TO EAT LUNCH WITH ME AT PIZZA HUT? I NEED TO TALK ABOUT... RELATIONSHIPS." I heard an assortment of giggles from the Nepeta, and considered that a yes. "SEE YOU LATER" I hung up.