Chapter 3

-your Pov-
I swam to God knows where and cried. I just want to be with my family. I didn't notice the fishing net near by until it got snagged on my fins. I recklessly tried to get it off, but only got more entangled in he stupid thing. I dragged myself and the net to the only place I knew where I could safely remove the net. I carefully swam into the lagoon area, making sure not to snag the net on any coral.

-Karkat's Pov-
I finally got everything unpacked into the new beach house, and decided to go out and enjoy the horrible scenery. I found the small cave where that girl disappeared.  Wonder where she went. I can't believe they haven't found her yet. I mean her picture is plastered anywhere somebody could see it, and yet she hasn't been seen. I duck my head and enter the small space. My eyes almost pop out of my head. There she was, but...but... She isn't human.

-Your Pov-
I turned around and saw a human. Crap. He stood there with a shocked expression on his face. I tried to get back into the water, but the net was caught on a rock. I tugged at it to no avail. The boy approached me with a knife. I started to pull at the net frantically. I needed to get back in the water, and fast! "CALM DOWN AND LET ME HELP YOU FUCKASS!" I was taken aback. He began to cut the net off of me, and tried to start a conversation. He lowered his tone a bit so he wasn't yelling. "I never knew mermaids existed." Another thick rope was cut. "You know it's been months since you went missing. People really want you back." He cut a few more ropes and looked into my eyes. I looked away. I was ashamed of being a mermaid. "What's your name?" He asks me. I point to my throat and mouth "can't talk". He looked down and said "oh". I use my finger and draw (Y/N) in the sand, then point to your self. "That's a pretty name" he says as he cuts the final rope. I quickly pull myself back into the water and dive under. "DONT LEAVE" he yells and dives into the water, but I'm long gone.

I decided to go back to Rose's cave. I had been missing for about a week after hearing that my parents had left. I wanted to tell her about my family, and the boy I met, but I was too afraid she would banish me or something. As soon as I entered the cave Rose was hugging me. "Where were you?" She asked me. "I was sorting out some things..." I said quietly. "We were searching for you all week. I had almost given up." Rose said sheepishly. "Better tell everyone your back!" She said grabbing my arm and dragging me to the other cave where I met everyone. I can't believe people really do care for me.

"(Y/N)!" Several people yelled at the same time. "Let's party!" Feferi said and pulled out some colorful seaweed. We partied for a few hours until Jake said something that caught my attention. "It's the full moon, you know the drill Dirk." Jake said. I looked at him confused. "Every month during the full moon I change back into a human until daylight" he shrugged like it was nothing. "What happens if your not back by sunrise?" I asked him curiously. "I don't know." He shrugged and left with Dirk. I wonder if I change back on a full moon too? "Hey Rose, I'm going out. I'll be back later tonight." I swam to the lagoon and propped myself up on the edge of the cave floor. I felt a tingling sensation in my tail and watched as it formed into my legs. I got up, I was wearing the (F/C) bikini I had on, on my birthday. I looked in the weeds by the edge of the cave and found my beach bag with a fresh change of clothes I had put in there before going the beach. I quickly pulled on the shorts, t-shirt, and hoodie. I didn't have any shoes but it didn't bother me.

I left the cave and started walking to town. Let's hope Jake doesn't see me out here. Or anyone else, if that boy was correct that means my face should be plastered everywhere. "HEY YOU" a voice shouts from behind me. "WHAT WERE YOU DOING ON MY PROPERTY?" He yelled and I stiffen up, and continued walking. I felt a hand on my shoulder, and the person turns me around. "It's you... How?" He asks. I realized I could speak again. "I honestly don't know..." My voice was scratchy from not being used. Before I knew what was happening I broke into tears. He tried to make me calm down, but I just felt even more tears run down my face.