Chapter 27

-Karkat's Pov-
My fist met his face with a sickening crack. The rest I'm afraid is a slight blur. I heard screaming, and loud footsteps. I felt the dead weight of his unconscious body as he fell on top of me. More screaming as I let him fall to the floor, his wife runs over to me and slaps me across the cheek. I growl, "BITCH!" I kick her in the crotch making her whimper as she falls to her knees. "OOPS, HOW ABOUT A BOOB SHOT?" I smirk and kicked her strait to the chest. She screams in pain as I quickly rush to (Y/N). "Hey." I lower my voice to try and calm her. "Everything is okay now" I smile and place her necklace on her neck. There was a small flash of light and her legs are back. "Can you walk?" I ask holding out a hand so I can help her up.

She takes my hand and clears her voice, "Do I know you?" She asks. It's as if he words ring inside my head. Do I know you? Do I know you? Do I know you? The words echo over and over again. She loved me, she had feelings for me... I start to feel light headed. "Are you okay?" She asks holding me steady by my shoulders. I smile slightly at her gentle touch. "I'm fine. Let me introduce myself, I'm Karkat Vantas." She giggles a little bit. "Hello Karkat Vantas, my name is (Y/N) (F/L/N)." We shake hands.

I hear groans from behind me, "we better go before they wake up." She nods and we head up the stairs and out the door.

-Your Pov-
He seems so familiar, as if I've known him all my life... We start running to the beach and my hands brushes against his. I want to hold his hand, but we just meet. We both dive into the sea effortlessly transforming into merpeople. Every cut on my body sings like hell from the salty sea water. Karkat and I nod at each other, "go" we both yell in unison and race to the end of the sandbar.

"Hehe" I say, and playfully poke him. "Why do you always win at games?" He growled. "We just met" I said surprised. "How can I have beaten you before if I didn't meet you until today?" I was slightly stunned. "I'll explain on the way there, we need to hurry." He somewhat grunted.

(Time skip)
It's been days since we started swimming back. Karkat has explained how we were friends, and how the experiment the scientist did to me went wrong. How I was originally a human, and that those people were my parents. He hugged me several times to relieve my tears. The thing is. I can't believe what he says is true. I need to remember for myself. I want to figure out the truth myself.

-Karkat's Pov-
We arrived back at the reef. "We need to go to the palace" I said urgently. She nodded and we began swimming there.

It didn't feel right. It was too quiet. We entered the gates where guards didn't stand waiting. The loud doors echoed under the water. We started swimming around trying to find anyone, instead we found dead rotting bodies, and broken walls. I could tell (Y/N) was confused. We started swimming to all the caves, yet they all remained untouched and vacant. The only sign we could find were the fishing nets that lay everywhere. We swam back to the cave and transformed back. I found the beach house trashed and falling apart. The windows were shattered, and the furniture smashed. "Let's go see Jade and John" I said and (Y/N) followed me. I found the door to Jade's house wide open, and scratch marks in the floor boards. "Shit" I muttered.

"Let's go" I said dragging (Y/N) to the high school. She could remember Sollux and what he did to her. "Everything will be fine" I tugged at her arm. She sighed and walked with me to the school. When we walked through the door the hallways were almost empty. "What the?" I heard (Y/N) say. I heard footsteps and a hand cup my mouth. I looked over and saw another person grab (Y/N). More footsteps. "H3llo k4rkl3s" I heard Terezi say. "W3 don't n33d 4ny m3rm41d scum 1n our school" she smirked and had us taken to her house.

We were shoved into the basement. I heard (Y/N) gasp. I couldn't believe my eyes. How could Terezi do this?