[21] - Change of Heart

♠ ♦ Brooklyn's P.O.V. ♠ ♦

A few days had passed, and we were getting reckless. I could feel El's hands itching to chuck a knife at something other than a fake dummy. Ari's fingers were yearning to run across the keys of a keyboard and hack into something, and me, well I just wanted to feel the adrenaline of a mission.

You could tell that all of us were really fidgety, and we became more and more on edge as time went by. Of course, we still did our training, except that since we, well Elody and Ariadne, would always be doing something with the guys over at mh house after school, our training would be pushed back to late at night, or early in the morning. I had tried to go once or twice on my own and train while the guys had been at my house, but I had felt so left out when I saw them the next day that I didn't do it again.

However, I did go to gym every morning for a hour or 45 minutes, just as a way as to make sure that I stayed in shape for the cheer finals. I still hadn't decided if I was going to do that or not, but I really wanted to.

Cheerleading was no longer a cover story, or a disguise. Instead, it became part of who I am. With every passing day, I felt as if I truly was becoming part of it as well. I could tell that the girls had let their cover stories become part of their lives and their personalities. I guess that's why no one truly found out about our second lives as undercover agents. I hadn't really thought about what I was going to do after I graduated. Sure, I had sent off applications to some of my top universities, but those were all to continue on with the whole undercover thing that all three of us had going.

As sad as it was to admit, I was getting really tired of it. I wanted to be able to live a normal life without having to worry about what we were going to be doing that day in training to if I was going to injure myself during a mission that night. I was tired of living on the very edge of life, and not knowing whether I was going to wake up the next morning or not.

When Amber died, everything had felt too sudden, and it had just came out of the blue. No one could have known what was going to happen that night. I don't want to live the rest of my years on the edge of my seat, always looking behind my back in fear.

The girls didn't know that I was thinking of these things, and I wasn't going to tell them anytime soon. I guess they were too busy living their lives and making new friends. I guess I should be doing that to, but Amber had always been the one who pushed me to do that as she was always even more outgoing than El.

To be honest, I was really worried about the girls befriending the guys and getting super close to them. I don't know why but I was getting a really bad vibe from them, and something just wasn't sitting right. I knew Amber would totally have a laugh if she met these boys, and she probably would've flirted with all three of them. Just like Elody would, I know that Amber would scold and tease me for being so cautious around them and for not living and enjoying life like the other girls.

Carl and Malcolm didn't want to give us any missions until after New Years, and they hadn't given us a proper reason why. Although I knew that it had something that had to do with making sure we don't blow our cover in front of the boys by going to school the next morning with bruises and stitches all over our bodies, I wasn't entirely sure. It was a smart move of Malcolm and Carl to be so cautious when it came to the guys and our mission. But then again, Malcolm and Carl were always smart when it came to being exposed.

I was kind of upset when Ariadne's resolve broke and she went back to speaking with the boys because it made me feel all alone. And even though I was used to it, from experience, I could tell you that being alone wasn't a nice feeling.

Amber had always been there for me. For as long as I remember, she would always be beside me, and we would always make decisions together and support each other. I knew that even though she would've been attracted to the guys, she still would've stayed away, just because that was what I was doing, and I would've done the same if our roles were reversed. In a way, Amber had become my second half.