Chapter 12

The next six weeks came and went with little action. The city was almost under a lockdown and everyone feared to do anything that could be thought as illegal. Sam tried to step back for those weeks so he wasn't tempted to do anything risky, and with the help of his cousin he was able to do so.

John decided it would be best if we didn't stay in the inn for over a week because of how much he had to pay. He figured if he was paying for what the Adams cousins has planned it was going to cost him. As of now we were staying with Dr. Warren.

As the end of the six week came, John Adams, my brother, and Sam were preparing for their leave later today. We were currently on our way to the stables to pick out horses and the two Johns were discussing what was to be expected in Philadelphia.

"I have heard back from some of the men I wrote to. I think we should expected at least a couple dozen," John Adams said.

"And when we get there we are going to try and convince these men to join a cause. A cause where we don't even have enough men here that are aware of it. Don't you think that will be a problem?" My brother asked.

"Which is why Paul will be going around to surrounding towns to raise awareness. People actually like Paul, and he can get people to listen to him," John Adams explained.

We rounded the corner and entered the stables. Sam was leaning against the wall. "Compared to me, right John? Good morning Hancock. Mary."

I haven't talked to Sam much in the past six weeks. If we did talk it was among other people, and only to discuss the plan. I once overheard Sam telling Warren to not let me out of sight when he was gone, but when he noticed that I was watching he walked away. Everyone knew that something happened between us, but the only one who knew was Paul because I knew I could trust him with this. After I fought with Sam, and my brother and I went to the inn, I wrote to Ronald demanding for a real divorce this time. Hopefully the letter gets to him soon.

"So, Hancock you will be paying for this?" Sam asked and my brother nodded. Sam addressed the stable boy next. "Okay well I think we will take three of your fastest horses. And, oh these saddles look comfortable."

"How about a horse that travels at a normal speed," John quickly stepped in, and led the boy away from us. "I am sure we can come to an adequate deal."

"Didn't think your brother would have such a problem spending his money," Sam said cooly.

"Stop it Sam! My brother has lost everything, and this is not something new to us. If you want his money to help you then you must stop trying to spend it on things that are not needed," I argued.

"Mary is right, Sam. John doesn't have an unlimited amount. He won't share how much he actually has available, but we need to do this right, meaning we use his money when it is actually needed," John Adams supported me.

John walked away to join my brother, leaving Sam and I together. Sam sighed and began to walk away from me. "If anyone is looking for me I'll be outside."

"Sam, is this really going to be us for now on? Us just saying a few words, and then one always leaving?" I asked in a whisper, but Sam heard me.

He turned around, his face void of any emotion. "Putting up a wall, separating us, is the only option I have right now. I need to keep my distance because if I don't I will end up losing sight of what needs to be done."

"But by pushing me away constantly you will lose me completely. I understand why you want to wait, Sam, you don't need to do this. We can be friends," I offered.

Sam was about to say something but my brother came over, pulling a horse behind him. John looked at the two of us but decided not to ask. "So Sam your horse is back there waiting for you. Mary can you promise that you will not put yourself in harm's way while we are gone?"