Chapter 9

I continued to watch as the soldiers and Sam and his men stared each other down. I feared that this would end in violence just like every demonstration Sam has held in the past. Suddenly Hutchinson appeared, yelling for a cease fire. "Stop! Don't shoot! Do not make Sam Adams a martyr. If you kill him, you will only be giving them a better reason to fight for. Put the guns down!"

I was shocked to hear him order such a thing, especially to save Sam's life. "What a lucky bastard," John Adams muttered.

I laughed, and everyone began cheering for the men on the ship who were cheering themselves. "I can't believe they actually did it," I voiced my thoughts.

John Adams looked at me in shock. "This isn't something that should be celebrated. It is only going to get worse after this."

"I know that Mr. Adams, but Sam was actually able to prove that we would stand up as a colony without being knocked down again. Hutchinson didn't fight back," I explained.

John shook his head and left me standing alone. My brother walked to me, he looked worried himself. "They pulled it off."

"We should celebrate with them, John. We were a part of this."

My brother sighed. "I am not anymore. I meant what I said earlier to Sam, I am done. I won't stop you from helping, but I don't want any part of this. I am going home. Don't stay out too late."

I watched John walk away from the harbor. He didn't walk with his normal grace, but instead his shoulders were slumped and it looked like he was too tired to pick up his own feet. That was when I realized that my brother has been defeated by the eternal struggle to decide what the right thing to do was. I heard my name being shouted, and saw Paul walking over to me.

"Sam told me what you did tonight. This bottle of wine is for you," Paul offered me the bottle of wine that he was holding, and I took it from him. "I am here to invite you to celebrate with us tonight. You in?"

I nodded, and together we walked to the bar. Paul would not stop talking about what just happened. He was shocked that Hutchinson shut down the Redcoats, but it showed that they officially had the power in the city.

When we arrived at the bar there were people walking in and out. Paul pushed past people, and let me enter first. Paul yelled in joy when he entered, and people yelled back. I was given a mug of beer from a man that was passing by, and somehow I was brought to a table where Kelly, Dr. Warren, and Sam were seated.

"Mary, you made it! Please take a seat," Kelly offered. I was surprised that he was speaking to me in a happy tone. The last time we spoke he was blaming me for the market falling apart.

I sat down in the only open chair, next to Sam. Sam took the bottle of wine that I was still holding and popped the cork. "I would like to thank you for causing a distraction tonight. I thought you and your brother were done."

"No, John is not me. I don't support the violence, and you were able to prove tonight that violence was always the ending result," I explained, and brought my beer to my mouth. I grimaced at the taste.

"It reminded me of earlier times. I mean you using your name to get things done. And the fact that you said Hutchinson was a friend of yours made me laugh," Sam chuckled.

I laughed along. "I thought that throwing his name in would convince the soldier that I was serious. I could tell he wasn't believing me in the beginning."

I finished of the rest of my beer, but Sam filled it again with wine. "I don't want to see you with an empty cup tonight. This is a celebration, and if you're going to be here then you will be drinking."