Chapter 16

After a few hours, the sun set completely and it grew dark. We arrived at the encampment and through the trees I could see the watch post, a few lanterns scattered about, and most importantly the shed that housed the gunpowder.

I rode up to the front and stopped beside Sam. "What are we going to do about one of the lanterns?" I whispered.

Sam squinted through the trees and darkness. "Someone needs to get out there and blow the light out. Someone who is in dark clothing." Sam looked behind us and eyed Paul who usually wore dark clothing as it was. He gestured for Paul to come over. "Paul, I need you to go out into the field and blow the nearest lantern out. I'll be right behind to attack whoever is sent to relight it. And right after that the rest of the plan will be set in motion."

Paul nodded and got off his horse. Passing the reins to me he said, "Remember what I said earlier. You will know when I'll need you."

I caught Sam watching our interaction, looking concern. He hopped off the wagon and walked to the other men explaining the plan again. Kelly stood near the end of the woods, ready to knock soldiers out. I shook my head at his eagerness.

Paul was given the signal to head out. He stayed low and quiet, and when he reached the lantern he quickly blew it out. When Paul ran back, Sam walked out of the woods but stayed in the shadows. I heard a voice yell from the watch tower, and another voice yelled back. Sam quietly made his way out into the field. Taking the butt of the musket, Sam smashed it against the soldier's head, and Sam slowly laid the man on the ground. Sam relit the lantern and walked back to the shed, joining the rest of the men that were walking around it on guard.

Kelly ran out, and quickly grabbed the closest soldier in the rotation. The soldier uttered a sound in shock, but Kelly was able to take him down before the sound reached it's height. One of our men were sent out and the British man was dragged into the woods. This was repeated another six times before all of the British that once were on guard were all replaced with colonist.

Sam and two other men were the next to run out. Once they got to the shed they started to remove the sides to create another entrance for them. I looked over at the man on top of the watchtower, and he seemed to be oblivious of what was happening right under his nose. For the next few hours my eyes never left the encampment. Barrels after barrel was being passed back and eventually the first wagon was completely filled, and my brother started on the second one.

I was grateful for the heavy coat, because the later it got, the cooler it became. My back began to ache from being so tense and sitting up straight. I twisted on the horse to loosen the muscles, and that was when I noticed the sky becoming lighter on the horizon. I looked at my brother and waved to get his attention. Once I did, I pointed to the sky and my brother nodded in understanding. He walked closer to the edge of the woods and waited for Sam to make his way around again. Sam looked at my brother with a blank expression, but once he saw the sun rising he frowned and started to send the men back one by one. I prepared Paul's horse for him and readied myself.

It became light enough for our men to be visible running back into the woods, and just as I expected the watchmen spotted them. He called out for help and soon Red Coats began to run at us. John and Kelly hopped onto the wagons, men hopping onto the backs. I leaned forward looking for Sam and Paul. Sam was just entering the woods, Kelly yelling for him to hurry up. John called out my name, but I did not move. Paul finally ran out of the shed, and with our horses I quickly maneuvered out of the woods. I let go of Paul's horse, just in time for him to hop on.

I heard a few gunshots, and ducked low. Then a loud explosion sounded, shaking the ground underneath us and startling my horse. The horse reared up, and I clung onto the reins, begging to not fall off. Once my horse was on all four hooves again, I looked back to see the shed in a blazing ball of flames, but luckily no one was following us.