Chapter 26

Panic began to rise as I waited for the man to answer my question. Time seemed to move slowly as others began to rush around us.

"Yes, a dozen boats were spotted making their way to shore," the man spoke in a rush. He ran off before I could ask any more questions and I ran off to find Paul.

Paul was helping put up a barrier at the top of the hill, and I knew it wasn't going to be much defense if the Redcoats got up the hill. I grabbed his shoulder to get his attention but he just shook me off.

"Mary, you need to leave right now! Report back to Sam and say that it's too late," Paul rushed out.

"No, Paul! I'm staying until I really need to leave. Let me help!" I exclaimed. I could tell Paul was about to argue with me but I continued to talk. "There has to be something I can do. I'm not running away when you clearly need my help."

Paul looked around the camp, and nodded. "Okay fine! Go help Warren with the guns. Do what he says, and the next time I tell you to leave you better go!"

I rushed off to where the guns were being stored. Warren was filling up the guns with powder and was passing them to men who were then placing them in a line against the border. I stood next to Joseph and picked up the next gun that was ready to be loaded.

"Mary, what are you doing?" He asked without even looking up.

I passed the gun along and continued with the process. "I'm helping. Is this all the powder that is left?"

Joseph grimaced at the amount but he nodded anyways. "We have enough for maybe each man to fire once. We used too much in practice. We aren't ready for this."

"Joseph?" I began, he looked at me and I continued. "We are ready for this. We have trained these men to the best of our ability and we knew we would always be outnumbered. We will get through this, together."

"There is no together. Mary, once we are done here you are getting far away from this wretched hill. I don't want to see you unless it is back in Philadelphia," Joseph ordered. It was an order from a worried friend, though.

I said nothing more and we continued to work side by side until the last gun was loaded and passed on. I looked out and saw that the British were already off the boats and were lining up to start marching. It was time for me to go.

I looked at Joseph and he pulled me into a hug. I became suddenly tense and anxious about what was soon to happen. "Mary, thank you for all you have done. I am grateful that I can call you a friend. Be safe on your way back. And if I don't make it out of this alive, tell Sam that he has done the right thing. I don't think he believes that I was always supporting him."

"Don't you dare say goodbye to me. I will see you again. I won't say goodbye," I said through my tears.

Paul came over to us with my horse already saddled. He passed the reins over to me with a frown. Next he handed me a pistol and I took it hesitantly. "Mary now is the time you need to go if you want to get out of here. I...I want you to be safe." Paul pulled me into a tight hug and he kissed my forehead gently.

I pulled away and quickly got onto my horse. Paul stopped me before I could ride off. "Thank you. For everything you have ever done to help. Tell Sam we tried."

I looked down at the two men who have impacted my life greatly, for this may be the last time I would get to see them. I nodded at them and rode away as fast as I could go. As I rode I could feel the wind stinging at my face and drying each tear as they escaped my eyes.

By the time I reached the forest line, the first gunshot sounded soon followed by a dozen more. I rode a little further into the trees before I stopped to watch the battle happening on Bunker Hill. Soldiers from both sides were already fallen and I shocked to see that the Redcoats were struggling to keep in a line. It gave me hope, but that hope would soon be short lived.