Chapter 25

"Franklin? There is no way someone of his status and popularity will help us out," Sam disagreed with the idea.

"He distrusts the crown and especially Parliament. He could barely tolerate Ronald, and Ronald was one of the more patient members with Franklin. He will be more than willing to help us," I explained. I could tell my brother was shocked that I knew Ben Franklin personally. Yet when you are married to a member of Parliament, you tend to meet some of the more important people in society.

"The least we can do is speak with him," Adams suggested.

After we agreed on this plan, Adams led us to his house. It was a brick colonial, much like the rest of the houses in the city. John knocked on the door, and one of the servants let us in. She said to wait in the foyer as she went to fetch the man himself.

We only waited for a few minutes when a bellowing voice was heard and soon Benjamin entered the hall with a younger woman at his side. He whispered something in her ear and snuck her a coin. I let her pass by me to gain access to the door, and then focused on the all important man in front of us.

"What are you doing standing in my house?" Franklin asked, not pleased to have more guest.

"Mr. Franklin, my name is John Adams, and these are my friends. We come from Boston-" Adams was cut off with a quick wave of Franklin's hand.

"Enough, I would rather not become a part of your rebellious actions." He turned away from us and was almost down the hall when I decided to speak.

"Benjamin, please hear us out. Or at least do it for an old friend," I called out.

I got his attention, because Franklin turned around and shook his head at me. "Mary, what are you doing here? I thought you were with Ronald in France."

I was pulled into a hug and laughed as I pulled away from Benjamin. "No I was sent here to stay with my brother. Please do us the favor and let us explain what we need from you. You know I wouldn't be here with them if I didn't think your time would be of some worth to us."

Benjamin looked at our small group and thought for a moment. "Okay, I will listen to what you have to say. Follow me." He waved us along and led us to his office. He instructed us to sit, and then Franklin waited for one of us to explain why we were there.

John Adams cleared his throat before he began to speak. "Mr. Franklin, I am sure you are aware of the tensions that have arose in Massachusetts. We are not here to ask you for money, but just aide in convincing the other delegates that we are doing the right thing."

"Before you continue I am going to stop you," Benjamin interrupted. "Why is it that you think what you are doing is the right thing?"

"Because everything we are fighting for is for the greater good of all the colonies," Sam stepped in. "This all began because of wrongful taxes and treatment of the people in Boston. Soon all the colonies were heavily taxed to help King George pay off a war he could not afford. A war which we wanted no part of. He sees us as a pawn in a chess game, a game that wins him money, a title, and the right to mistreat everyone that lives here. I will not stand for it, and I think it's time we stand up for our rights, given to us by God."

"Sam is it?" Benjamin addressed Sam. Sam nodded and Franklin smiled. "What I am hearing from you is that you want a war. A war of independence. A war that will lead to either a wonderful outcome, or a horrifying ending. If there is such a wonderful outcome then you are asking for a whole other country. You're not talking about defending your rights as Englishmen, but your rights as individuals from the crown. Are you ready for that?"

I didn't realize I was holding my breath for most of this exchange until I let out a gasp for air. Everyone remained silent as we waited for Sam to answer the question. Was he ready to create a full fledge war that would change everything that has been in place for a few hundred of years?