Chapter 32

Getting up early the next morning, I helped prepare the house for the party later tonight. Ben had his servants running about the house making sure everything was in order, and I was put in charge to watch over their activities. I am sure Ben expected me to be strict with my orders, but in actuality I was helpful and did just as much work as his servants were doing.

After making sure all the flower arrangements looked presentable, I took a break for a quick lunch. My feet hurt from standing on them for over six hours, and I had a slight pain in my stomach from hunger. As I was eating the stew that was made for lunch, my brother burst through the wooden doors and sighed in relief when he saw me.

"You'd think that you would be much easier to find, but it took me an hour to finally track you down. Where have you been?" John asked as he sat across from me.

I rolled my eyes and picked up my napkin to wipe my mouth. "I have been all around the house to make sure that everything was getting done properly for tonight. Is there an important reason you were looking for me?"

John leaned back in his chair as he eyed my stew. "I don't think it is terribly important, but I heard from John that you finally told Sam the news of your pregnancy. I just wanted to make sure that you were okay after."

I signaled for a servant, who just happened to walk in as John was talking, to bring him a bowl of the stew so he could stop watching mine. "I am fine. The conversation went much better than I expected. Sam and I don't have any plans for the future, but we are waiting to see how things play out. I know that is something you don't approve of John, but if we were to get married right now and then I lose the child, it could end badly for us. Sam promised he would be there for me in any way that he could, and that is all I can ask from him."

John remained silent as his bowl was placed in front of him. "Thank you," he said to the servant. "Mary, you are an adult and I can't make these important life choices for you, so if this is what you have decided than I will support you. I have realized that over this past year I have tried to control what you do in life, and that includes things I have no say in. I am not our father, nor am I your husband. I am your brother, and even though you are under my protection and guidance, I can't decide factors of your life. I am only here to guide you to, hopefully, make the right choice."

I pushed my empty bowl away from me and looked John in the eyes. "Thank you for finally realizing that. It is not that I don't appreciate you looking out for me because I do, but at times it was overwhelming. It felt that I was not allowed to live the way I wanted when I had you watching over me like a king. It was the reason why we got into so many fights. I promise you that if I ever need advice I will come to you."

I got up from the table and kissed John on his cheek. He grabbed my hand before I could walk away, and I watched his reaction. "Ben also needs to tell you something. I told him I would let him explain, but I know that you won't react well. I would find him before the party starts so you understand before hand."

I raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Is everything okay?"

My brother nodded, but I could still tell that there was something bother him. "Yes, everything is fine at the moment. Just go talk to Ben."

I left the dining room with the intentions of speaking with Ben, but I was soon swept in helping rearrange the foyer so that there would be enough room for the music and dancing. It became so late in the afternoon that I was told it was time for me to start preparing myself for the night, and the thought of speaking with Ben left my mind.

After quite some time wrestling with my corset and dress. I began to move on to my hair. Having left it in a bun all day, when I took it out my hair had waves to it. I wrapped half my hair into a bun again, and left the other half down. A servant helped me place the pins in my hair, and then she sprayed something into it to keep everything in place. I lightly did my makeup, not wanting to distract from the dress that Betsy so beautifully designed.