Chapter 21

The next few days nothing happened. I grew tired of sitting inside all day and it didn't help that we barely talked to each other. Sam was the one to start the conversations but after a few attempts he realized that John and I weren't willing to keep the conversation going.

I was currently looking out the window, watching rain splatter onto the ground, turning the dirt road into mud. Sam was poking at the small fire and John was eating an apple. I ran a hand over my hair and sighed. "Okay I'm done with this. We agreed we would try and be civil but this isn't trying. John why don't you tell an interesting story, I am sure you have plenty."

When John looked at me I saw the anger in his eyes. He sighed and nodded, "okay, sure. So when I was about twenty our uncle was invited to attend King George's coronation but he thought it would be better if I went. The whole event was extravagant, gold and jewls everywhere. Men and women dressed in their finest.

After the big event was over there was a big picnic on the palace grounds. Some poor fool forgot the canopy for the king and queen so they were burning under the sun. It was quite amusing but no one dared to laugh at them," John chuckled to himself. Sam was smiling and I could tell he was holding back laughter.

I even laughed lightly. "Who ever forgot to bring the canopy probably lost his life for it. Royals do not like to be embarrassed. I can't imagine how they feel about their colonies acting out."

Sam looked at me with a different expression. "There is no need to be morbid Mary."

"How are you not afraid Sam? Everyday our lives are in danger and I haven't even seen you panic once," John defended me, which came as a surprise.

I watched Sam reaction, but he just smiled to himself and laughed at something. "I'm not scared because I know that what I am doing is worth my life. I don't how to explain it to the two of you, but equality is all I ever wanted for the past few years of my life. I watched things get worse over the years that I got fed up and decided to do something about it. Why it is still such a surprise to people, I will never understand."

John laughed and shook his head. "You really are a rebel bastard."

"I guess so," Sam said while laughing. He looked over at me, a spark in his eyes that caused me smile at him. After a moment I laughed with them until John decided to get up from his chair and walk over to his bed.

"I think I'm going to rest for a couple of hours," John stated. I nodded, showing that we heard him. Not long after his head hit the pillow, soft snores came from him.

I began chopping carrots that Sam was able to buy at the market so I could begin the soup I was making for dinner. I heard Sam approaching and he appeared at the other side of the table. He took the knife from me and before I could say something he held his hand up to stop me.

Taking my hand, Sam lead me outside and sat me in one of the chairs while he took the other. He looked at me blandly and looked away just as quickly. "You haven't been yourself for a while now. I wasn't going to say anything but I need to know what is going on with you."

I nervously played with my fingers and looked down the street. Sam waited for me to answer but I took time to do so. Somberly I said, "I'm scared. That's the easiest way to put it."

"Give me the more difficult way. We have time, if that's what you're worried about." Sam grabbed one of my hands and I looked at him. His face relaxed a little, but I could tell he was overly concerned for me.

I took a need breath and let it out slowly. "Ever since we left the city it has felt like there is this big target on my back. No one has really been discussing what is next for all of us, so my mind wanders and all I can see is death. I dream about death, and not even a week ago I almost died in the hands of Gage. I'm terrified every moment of the day and night, and you sit here saying how you aren't scared and I don't understand. You not being scared scares me, Sam! I-I just don't know what to expect anymore." I began to cry against me own wishes. I looked down at my own hands and saw how badly I was shaking.