Chapter 45

Three days passed since I began to make my preparations to leave. Extra days were added before a vote could be passed, much to everyone's dismay except for Sam who argued that these extra days were needed so that he could convince more of the delegates. The night I was suppose to speak with Sam after he returned from the pub, I pretended to be asleep so that the conversation was to be avoided and when he knocked at my door and I did not answer, I got what I wanted.

I was making my way down the stairs to be able to meet with Betsy to see her progress with her flag since Ben was still on my case about it when I heard my name being called from the dining room. When I reached the bottom of the stairs I saw Sam making his way towards me and I knew exactly why he wanted to talk with me.

"Mary before you leave, I was thinking we can talk about what I wanted to the other night," Sam said with caution. He obviously realized that I have been avoiding him and this conversation, which I was still trying to do.

"Sam, I really have to go somewhere. Ben put me in charge of this a while ago, and I need to make sure it is done before I go." I walked around Sam without looking at him.

Sam was not having it though, he grabbed me by my arm causing me to feel a rise of anger. "What do you think you are doing, Sam? I have somewhere I need to be."

"And whatever this is can wait, Mary. We need to talk." Sam argued with me.

At this point I was done with people telling me what I needed to do. I had my own priorities just like they did, and I was going to make sure that I got what I needed done finished so I was not in a rush to leave. I loosened Sam's grip from my arm and narrowed my eyes at him. "You don't get to determine what can wait and what shouldn't in my life, Sam. Get that point through your thick skull, okay?"

I could see that he was growing angry with me, but I also saw that he wasn't going to stop me. I turned around without another word and made my way outside. Halfway down the stairs I heard to door open behind me, and looked to see that Sam was stepping outside. I threw my hands up in annoyance. "What do you think you're doing? I told you that you had to wait."

Sam walked passed me on the steps and then acted like he was the one who was waiting. "I am not letting you avoid this conversation, Mary. We need to talk so we are going to talk. Don't forget that I am as equally stubborn as you."

I looked at Sam speechless. He gestured for me to continue ahead of him and I huffed in annoyance. I walked ahead of him, so that he knew that I was not having this conversation with him now. He was not going to win this argument. I lead the way to the small shop a few streets over, and Sam followed closely behind without asking any questions.

When we reached the shop, I pushed the door open and heard the familiar chime. I smiled at Betsy as she peeked around the corner as she shouted a hello. Not too soon after, Betsy comes around the corner holding the flag that we worked to design together.

Sam, who still remained behind me, finally stepped forward to get a closer look at the flag in front of him. "What is this for?" Sam asked quietly to the two of us, but he looked at me first.

"When I was at Bunker Hill, I saw what Ben's fag did for the men. It brought out more unity and pride in them, and so when I returned I had an idea. I spoke with Ben about creating a flag that would represent all the united colonies. Maybe even get people to vote for our independence. I have been working with Betsy on a design that would make sense for a united country, and this is the final project." Once I finished speaking and looked at Sam, I saw that there was some kind of shock and pride written on his face. And love, which I hated to see he still showed towards me.

I looked at Betsy, so she could further explain the design because most of it was her idea. She laid the flag out on a wooden table so that it was fully on display and Sam walked over to observe it. "I am sure that you can figure it out for yourself, but I will explain anyways. The colors are obviously inspired by the English flag. We thought that it would be a good slap in the face when it is first introduced in a battle. The thirteen stars and stripes represent the thirteen colonies, but Mary had this good idea that men and women will see this as unification. This flag is meant to inspire and encourage freedom, I just hope that it does the job."