Chapter 27

Later I left my room and sat with the other three in the study. I could see that the frustration was growing, due to the news that everyone would be meeting once again tomorrow.

Ben rubbed his forehead and nodded, as if he was agreeing with his thoughts. "What we need to do is get a common idea on what our new country will be like. It will have to written down in a declaration of our independence."

"How are you going to convince these men to side with you, though? You need to figure that out before you do anything else," I pointed out.

My brother leaned his head back and groaned out of annoyance. We sat in silence until there was a loud bang and the door to the study was pushed open. Sam was standing in the doorway and I sat up straight in my chair.

"You need me," Sam rushed out. "John, I'm sorry I didn't listen to you earlier but you're right. You need me to convince these men and now I'm here to help."

John Adams nodded and smiled at his cousin. "Welcome back. Take a seat, we were just discussing how to get more men on our side."

For a few hours we all came up with a plan that would convince some of the other delegates that breaking away from the crown would be more of a benefit for them. It would take a lot of words and a lot of promises.

I excused myself and retired to my room after we seem to have come to a halt in our planning. I was about to take off my gown when a knock sounded. I opened the door and was immediately pulled into a hug. "Sam," I breathed out.

Sam walked me backwards and shut the door behind him. When I looked into his eyes, I saw that they were watering and he looked terrified. "I thought that I lost you. When I saw you standing in that barn today I thought you were a ghost but you're not. You're standing right in front of me."

"Sam," I repeated myself again. I wrapped my arms around my chest. "You made it clear that anything that was between us was over. I came to terms with that. Don't keep coming back to me."

"Mary, please just listen to me for a moment," Sam begged. I nodded, letting him continue. "When I heard Warren was killed, I was devastated. Then your brother points out you haven't returned yet, when you should have. This new feeling washed over me and all I could think about was that because of me I lost you. I'm sorry, Mary, for all the things that I've said to you-"

"Well you said some horrible things that I am not going to forget after a simple apology," I mumbled after I turned away from him.

"And I don't expect you to. I'm not asking for your forgiveness but you need to know that I had no right to target my anger towards you. I realize now that I was angry about not being able to control the events around me. Kelly's death was not your fault because Gage did not follow you. Someone gave our location away. I'm sorry for blaming these things on you," Sam said. He grabbed my hand to get my attention but I would not look at him.

"No his death was not my fault, Sam. You got mad because I pushed you away after I got attacked by that soldier because I didn't want to be around anyone for one night. One night, Sam, but you wouldn't even let me explain that," I argued. I was growing annoyed with Sam as each word passed through his mouth.

"All I wanted was to make sure you were okay. I was worried for you. Is that so bad?"

"Yes, Sam, it is because every time you're worried about me it caused issues because you weren't focused enough. It hurt me to see you angry because something slipped past you, all because you were worrying about me. I pushed you away that night out of love. I'm pushing you away because I still love you," I shouted at Sam. There were tears falling down my cheeks but I didn't care to brush them away.