Chapter 29

The next day, when everyone was in the meeting I decided to explore the city more. Ben also gave me the address for the woman who, I hoped, would design the new flag for us. This city was much more calmer from the previous locations I have spent the last two years in. I am sure that the people who lived in Philadelphia felt the tension that was radiating from the state house just a few streets over. Yet at the same time there was no one talking about it, probably because no one wanted to believe that we were actually in a war at this very moment.

When I looked up I realized I was already at the location that Ben had written down for me. It was a small store for a seamstress set on a quiet street. It made me wonder if she got any business here. I pushed the door open and a small bell chimed. The store was just as small as it seemed from the outside and I noticed all the different materials that were placed around the room.

A woman, who seemed to be younger than me stepped out from a room off to the side and smiled at me. "Hello, how may I help you?"

"Are you Betsy Ross?" I asked.

The woman looked concerned by my quick question, but she nodded anyways. "Yes, that would be me. May I ask who you are?"

"Mary Hancock," I introduced. "I am here from Boston along with my brother and others. Benjamin Franklin actually sent me to you. He said that you may be able to help create this idea I have in my head."

"Oh, yes! Mr. Franklin has been a close friend to my family for a long time now. He actually told me a little bit about your brother and the Adams cousins when he last visited me. It would be my pleasure to help you. Please take a seat." Betsy pulled a chair out for me and cleared it of any fabrics that were laying on it.

I took a seat and looked closer at the young woman in front of me. She had to be in her early twenties and I was shocked to see how blue her eyes actually were when I got a better look at her. Her eyes suited her light brown hair. I cleared my head and smiled at Betsy who was fiddling with her skirt. "Ben told me that you were the one that made the flag that was sent to me. The one that said 'Join or Die', is that true?"

Betsy laughed at the question. "Yes it is. I was shocked that he came to me with such a request, but I did not question Mr. Franklin. I was just happy to do the work for him."

"When I opened the package I was surprised to see the design, but I saw what it did in terms of motivation for the men. Which got me thinking," I explained. Betsy continued to smile as I kept on speaking, leading me to believe that she was a happy spirit. "If there was to be a flag that looked presentable, a flag that people would be proud to hang in front of their houses, I think that more people would be willing to support the war. I mean the cause of this war."

"So you want to spread this idea of independence?" Betsy assumed. She understood what I was explaining, but that was when I realized I had no idea where she stood with all of this.

"Ms. Ross, please forgive me for not asking and just assuming you were with us. Do you stand with us...revolutionaries?"

Betsy looked around the room, contemplating the question. I could tell that she was hesitant to answer, and I did not blame her. She was about to state whether or not if she was willing to go against the crown, something we all knew was a treasonous act. She took a deep breath and looked me straight in the eyes. "I have never been wronged by the crown. My family has never had trouble paying our taxes and we have a good reputation here, but at the same time I do see all the wrongful things that have occurred. I am not blind to that. I know that colonist have been killed to defend our rights, and I want to be a part in helping them be remembered. So if I am assuming correctly, you are here because you want me to make this flag, and if that is what you want than I am willing to help."