Chapter 14

The next two weeks were full of everyone running around, trying to get everything together. Kelly was able to get the rest of the guns. Paul and Warren got many more recruits, more than I thought there would be. Sam wanted to me to greet every new man that was brought to the farm because I apparently had the nicest face and would make them feel as welcomed as they could in this situation.

I was riding into Boston one night to have the divorce papers sent back to Ronald, signed. I was told to go as the sun was setting so I would be in the cover of darkness even though I wasn't a wanted person. After I dropped the package off at the post office, I headed towards Joseph who offered me to stay the night.

When I arrived at the house, I noticed that Margaret was stepping out. I hopped off the horse and followed after her.

"Margaret," I quietly yelled to get her attention.

I witnessed her jump, and quickly spin around. "Oh Mary! It's just you!"

"Yes, it's just me. What were you doing at Dr. Warren's?" I questioned.

Margaret kept the left side of her face hidden from me, and paused before she began to talk. "I had a quick question. That's all. Mary, I would love to talk but I really should be getting home before Thomas sends some of his men out looking for me."

Margaret turned around, but not before I spotted the bruise on her cheek, just like the one I got from Gage not too long ago. Just as I was about to call out to her again, I heard my name being called.

"Mary is that you?" I saw Paul walking towards from me. "Oh good, I thought you would be in the city tonight. I need to talk to Joseph. You coming in?"

Instead of answering, I followed Paul inside. Joseph was walking out of his office and looked shocked to see us both, and he looked flush.

"You're both here, why?"

"Have you heard anything about gunpowder when you were recruiting men?" Paul asked, getting straight to the point.

"No, why are you asking?" Warren asked while leaning against his desk.

"We don't have any gun powder for the guns we have. We need to begin training but Gage has made it illegal for anyone to even have the smallest amount of powder on them."

Joseph looked at me. "Your brother can't pay for this?"

"No, my brother has no money left. There has to be someone that has powder. We were able to find someone who had over a hundred guns," I said.

"Gunpowder is going to be harder to come by," Paul sighed.

We all stayed silent for a few minutes, but then someone started to pound at the front door. "Now who would come here at this hour?" Joseph grunted as he got up.

When he opened the door, a young man was out of breath and spoke in a rush. "Dr. Warren you're needed, it's urgent."

Joseph grabbed his medical bag and ran out the door. Paul and I looked at each other, and silently agreed to follow after him. I shut the door behind us, and we quickly made our way down the streets of Boston.

Paul pointed to Warren crouching on the ground, next to a black man. We went over and I knelt next to the medical bag, pulling out tools Joseph could use.

"What's your name?" Joseph asked kindly as he pulled the blood stained shirt back to reveal a bullet hole on the man's abdomen.

"Tom, sir," the wounded man groaned in pain.

"Okay, Tom. It looks like the bullet isn't near anything where it can cause serious damage. How did this happen, Tom?" Warren gestured for a specific tool and I passed it to him.