Chapter 18

"Joseph, are you in?" I called out. There was no reply, but I heard a rustling coming from the office so I made my way back there. When I rounded the corner, I paused when I saw Joseph between a woman's legs as she was seated on his desk. I must have made a noise because the two broke apart quickly and I could finally place a face with the woman. "Margaret? What is going on here?"

"Mary, what are you doing here? I thought you were suppose to be away from the city for a while?" Joseph asked, trying to move the attention to me.

"Oh no, don't change the topic. What is going on here? I thought I told you that this wasn't a smart idea. Margaret, what if Gage finds out?" I asked the both of them. I warned Joseph before I left the city all those months ago that no good would come out of this.

Joseph was about to speak, but Margaret beat him to it. "Mary, we shouldn't have to explain ourselves to you. You know what my husband is like, and for once I just want to be happy. You know exactly what it is like for people like us. Our life isn't easy."

I hesitated before I spoke because Margaret was right, the life that I use to live and the one she is currently living are difficult. I sighed and nodded, "You're right but Thomas will find out somehow, he has his ways."

"And when that time comes I will take care of it, like I should," Joseph stepped in. "Now what are you doing here?"

"I am actually here to speak with Margaret. I need to know what her husband is planning and what he knows." Joseph looked at me like I was crazy and gestured to Margaret. I am guessing she didn't tell him that she knew something was happening. "Oh please, Warren, she knows enough to know what I am talking about."

Margaret smiled at me. "Mary filled me in a little before she left, but not enough to get anyone in trouble if I was forced to tell. But I'm sorry Mary, I don't know anything in reference to my husband and his plans. I do know, though, that he is looking for you and your brother. Coming to the city probably wasn't a smart idea."

I was about to speak, but there was suddenly loud banging at the door. Joseph stood up straight and held up a hand to say wait here. I looked at Margaret and she looked worried. I placed a hand on her shoulder just as I heard the door open, and Joseph speak. "Good evening gentlemen, is there something I can do for you?"

"Yes, someone reported seeing Mary Seymour arrive here not too long ago. If she is here, General Gage would like to speak with her." I felt my eyes widen in panic and I looked at Margaret, who looked just as frightened as I felt.

"I am sorry but I haven't seen her for at least a couple of months now," Joseph provided. I stepped forward to reveal myself, but Margaret stopped me.

"You can't turn yourself in, Mary. They have no proof that you are actually here!"

"But they are probably waiting to search this house, and what if they find you? Joseph would be killed for hiding me and being here with you. Let me go, I'll be fine," I whispered to her. Margaret let me go, and turned her back away.

I stepped out of the office, just as Joseph was trying to stop the soldier from entering his house. "Joseph, it's okay. If General Gage just wants to talk to me then I will go. It seems that I am in no trouble, right gentlemen?"

One of the two soldiers nodded. "Yes, General Gage ordered us to bring you to him so he can speak with you. That was all we were told."

I nodded and turned to Joseph. "I will be back later. You may want to attend to your patient in the back, she seems a little anxious."

I followed the two men in red coats out the door, and they pushed me in front of them. I sighed, and held my tongue. I didn't want to say anything that would get me in more trouble. I tried to figure out what Gage would want to talk to me about, but the only thought I had was about the plans of Sam and my brother. Gage must know that I wouldn't tell him things easily, and I feared he would find a threatening way to get it out of me. Before I knew it, I was being led into my brother's old house, and being pushed through the doors of the office.