Chapter 6

Merida's POV;

I aimed my bow at this stranger. After my first warning shot, he flinched, but never dropped his arms from over his head. Trying to prove to me that he was unarmed. Though i still kept my guard up, staring at this stranger.

"Now, tell me again, why are ye here?" i called, see some movement behind him in the tall grass. He's not alone. I took a step in front of Blair and Kerr as they hid by my feet.

He stepped closer, but not by much. "Okay, just don't shoot, alright?" he called. Letting out a breath, i lowered my bow, but still had my arrow ready.

See him take a sigh of relief, he walked forward a bit more. About fifty feet from where i stood until his stopped. Hands still in the air.

"Like i said, I'm just here to check out the the Island. I'm searching for dragons, finding new species," he explain calmly, though he had and edge in his voice. At the mention of "dragons", i covered mine with the hem of my dress. Covering them from this stranger.

"How can i trust ye?!" i shouted, trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. With that, his arms finally dropped as he signaled behind him.

"Toothless, come out and say 'Hi'," he said, starting to sound more at ease. Just then, a black shadow emerged from the tall grass. Standing tall, it was taller then the stranger. Its wide head, looked in my direction with bright, alluring green eyes. It's body stood low and on edge, but it's face read,'curious'. Watching as it too took some steps closer, but did not come as close as it's master. There was no doubt in my mind that this was another Dragon. And he was beautiful.

"See," the stranger gestured. "I wasn't lying. This is Toothless, my Night Fury. Toothless, say 'hi'," the creature growled, narrowing it's eyes. My hand itched on my bow. His master jumped. "No Bud, we want her to like us, now be nice and say "hi'," the stranger interjected with a start, scolding the beast. The creature pouted, giving him a glare before bowing his head to me. "See, no harm," he said, seemingly on edge, but smiled.

Loosening my bow, i held the arrow as i slung my bow over my shoulder. "So his name is Toothless, then what ye's?" i called. He smiled and my heart jumped. What just happened?

"My names Hiccup, can i ask your's?" he said, seeing around if it was okay to approach.

"Merida," i called, waving him over. He took it as he lightly jogged over to me with his dragon.

"Hey, I'm sorry if i startled you. I wasn't trying too," he admitted, running his fingers through his shaggy auburn hair. There was a slight glimmer in his green eyes when he smiled. Like a child when they discovered something new and exciting.

"It's alright," i mumbled, letting my hair fall over my face, feeling my checks heat up. I cleared my throat.

"So, do you mind if i take a look at your dragons?" he asked, bringing me back. Pushing my hair back and out of my face, suddenly i felt protective. He seam to have seen it. "I don't want to take them, i promise, i just want to look at them," he spoke softly. His kind voice sent a wave of chills over my arms. I'm thankful that I'm wearing a long sleeved dress.

Nodding, i uncovered the babies. "I call them Blair and Kerr," i admitted. His eyes lit up as he knelt down to they're level. I follow his movement and gestured for them to get closer.

They were hesitant.

"It's alright, I wont hurt you," He cooed, holding out his hand, palm side up for them to sniff. They took it and Blair sniffed his fingertips first, Kerr followed slowly behind. "They're Hobblegrunt's," he breathed.

"A what?"

"Hobblegrunt. That's what kind of dragon they are. They must be only a few days old, they're cone hasn't even fully developed yet," he smiled as Kerr nuzzled in his hand.