Chapter 9 Plan

All I could think of was running. My breath was becoming labored and my legs were turning numb. The survival part of the Chunin exams had begun and now we were running. 

We didn’t know why. We just ran. Hoping. Killian Seru and I were running in the treetops. Stoping once in a while to catch our breaths. Killian took charge. 

“We need to find a safe spot for us to stay. That is where we will conduct our missions and get some sleep. Homebase if that makes it any clearer. A spot not to far from a river so we can get supplies, and also well protected. From there we will get our Earth scroll and head back to the central base. Good plan?’ Killian asked.

Seru and I nodded in approval. “Should we split up?” Seru asked. 

“No, that is the last thing we should do if something happens. Staying in a group is much better. Follow my lead. I think I have a good idea for where we can stay.” 

We followed the short and skinny shinobi towards the ground. We swerved in between the giant tree trunks. Finally we stood in front of a small river. 

“We should find a base camp now. We don’t want to be noticed.”

A few steps away was a small overhanging rock. Big enough to fit 3 people comfortably. The sides were enclosed except for the front. Perfect. 

“Seru, you’re in charge of protection and defense. Set up a perimeter with paper bombs and trip wires. Kushina, food.”

“You?” 

“Thinking of plans. When we get our home base set up we can look around. I’ll make a map on the way so we can get our bearings. Once we find a group that has the Earth scroll we find a plan and then execute.” 

The whole day was spent gathering supplies. I had studied on medicinal plants and herbs. A large stack of green plants stood in the corner of the base. I still hadn’t seen Seru. 

The smell of cooked fish enveloped the camp. Killian had told me to keep the fire down low. I hid it behind a thick vine of branches. Seru soon returned. A pleased look on his face as he entered the base. 

“Fish. Good. I’m starving.”

“Did you set up a perimeter?” 

“Yes. Everything is in order. The only thing I’m concerned about is the river. I mean an enemy could swim up it and attack us. I did lay some traps though in the water. I just hope it works. Do you have a plan figured out?”

“Yes. In my conclusion I figured that some groups would be hidden close to the central base. In case they get their other scrolls they can run there and win. That’s what I’ve figured. Did you see anything curious while putting traps down?”

“No. Not a thing. Who will be first watch tonight?”

“I will.” Kushina put in. “I’ll do it. You guys have been hard at work and all I’ve done is gather supplies. We have enough medicinal herbs to keep us healthy for weeks. I just hope that I’m good enough with healing.”

“You’ll be fine Kushina. I’ll take first watch. You get some rest.” Seru said as he looked me in the eye. His hand was on my shoulder. I could tell he was concerned about me but I was concerned more about him.