Chapter 39 Sun on a Rainy Day

After that incident with Ushio I ignored him. Everytime I looked at him secretly my cheeks would blush considerably. I could still see his torso even under his clothes. My heart quickened as we sped up the journey. Ame was close. The trees were disappearing and instead were vast marshes or giant lakes filled with water. I was surprised to see that the Rain was considerably flat. I guess all this rain must've washed any source of mountains. 

I shook the dripping rain off my face as we trudged through the marshes. I shivered under my now soaked clothes. I had the luxury of having them dry for a brief moment but the sun never shone. Instead it was filled with dark clouds. Shino didn't have his scouting bugs out since it was raining. 

"Keep your eyes peeled." He warned us as we ran through the sludge. My feet were heavy and my breathing labored as I kept slipping in the mud. My whole body now covered in mud I kept going. It was like that time during the Chunin Exams. Except I could hear now. 

I slipped again this time harder. My face hit the mud and filled my mouth. I felt an arm under my armpits lifting me up. They were strong hands. Ushio's. Careful but gentle. 

"Kushina?" Ushio said as he looked at me in the eye. Worry etched into every line on his face. "You need a break?"

"No. I'm okay." He shoved him off me as I continued to walk. The others were ahead of us now waiting for us. Ushio slopped next to me. His feet black from the heavy mud. I felt sick. 

The smell of the mud and the weakness of my body sent me sprawling once more. I felt myself being lifted now. My feet couldn't cooperate. My face titled to the sky as I felt the rain patter on my face. 

I felt weak. I had to stand. I grunted as I shuffled my feet and continued to walk. Then I saw it. Ame. I grinned feeling my mouth muscles working once more. It was a city that towered above. It looked like it was hovering over a giant lake. The buildings were made out of metal with long poles coming out of the top. I guessed to stop the lightning. I felt my feet sinking in the mud as we walked to the water's edge. 

"We are going to swim. It will be faster." 

"I have an idea!" I said. I suddenly bit my finger until I tasted blood and slammed it on the ground. Gambunta arrived in a puff of smoke. 

"Ah Uzumaki. What do you need from me this time?"

I was glad I didn't catch him at the wrong moment. "Can you take us over there?" 

The red toad grumbled then jumped into the lake. "Guess you guys are too lazy to swim." I grinned as I walked on his back and the others followed suit. 

"Thank you grateful toad." Shino said. "We really do appreciate it." 

The toad was speechless. No one really thanked him especially the ones he didn't have a contract with. He grumbled once again knowing that that was as close to a thank you that Shino would receive. 

We reached Ame and Gambunta disappeared. The city was quiet. The streets were empty and filled with puddles. Shino walked through the twisted streets until he reached a small hotel. Ever since Pein was defeated the city took charge. They appointed a new leader of the city to watch over the Rain. His name was Takeo. I often listened to Naruto explain the fall of the Rain and the rebirthing. Ever since Pein had left the city had grown considerably. 

I was going to meet Takeo. I gulped nervously but as soon as we entered the hotel I was met with a woman who smiled happily as we entered. 

"Kunichiwa." She said as she bowed. Then her eyes flashed to mine in horror. "Oh! You need a bath! Come this way. Your room is the 3rd on the left!" She called as she took me to a small room in the back.