CHAPTER 26

CHAPTER 26        

AJ

September 20, 2010

She was cleaning the lens of her camera in her room that night when she heard a thump on her window. The hairs on the back of her neck stood up.

There was another thump. She didn’t move a muscle, she didn’t even breathe. She slowly stood up and walked to the window. The window felt like miles away. Suddenly, a stone shattered the glass window and hit her upper lip. Ouch.

She opened the window and saw Elizabeth Fern waving at her from below. Lizzie mouthed the word “Sorry” and motioned for her to come down. AJ smiled at the sight of her. She swore felt her heart tumble.

She quickly put on a blue cardigan and placed her camera in her bag before rushing downstairs to see her best friend. One she had feelings for. The two girls hugged.

“You’re bleeding, AJ!” Lizzie half-screamed.

AJ touched her bleeding lip.

“I got hit by the rock you threw”.

“Oops. My bad” Lizzie said and touched her friend’s lip.

Her touch lingered on AJ’s lip before she pulled  it away.

“It’s night already, Lizzie. Why are you here?” she asked.

The black haired girl snorted.

“It’s a beautiful night, AJ! Let’s go star gazing!”.

They went to the park and sat on the grass. AJ took out her camera and took pictures of the sky. So beautiful.

She pointed the lens at Lizzie and took pictures of her under the moonlight. She’s even more beautiful if not as beautiful than the starts above. She smiled as with every picture. Lizzie saw her and stuck out her tongue. She laughed then laid down with her best friend.

The black haired girl ran her hand through AJ’s hair.

“Even in the dark, it still looks like maple syrup” she playfully joked.

AJ laughed. She always loved her company. She was more than a best friend to her, she was like her better half. She was shy and demure while Lizzie was humorous and a bit boyish. She completes her…and she wanted to tell her that.  Her green eyes met her twinkling blue ones.

“You’re really one of a kind, Lizzie” she uttered.

“What’s the drama about?” Lizzie snorted.

AJ paused for a moment then asked

“Are you a lesbian?”