CHAPTER 17

ALEX

He was two lockers away from her, yet he can still smell her scent. The scent of fresh melons. She’s wearing her usual attire today: a loose plaid shirt, denim jeans and sneakers. It looked boyish but he found it attractive. She never puts anything on her hair, she just likes it to fall freely on her shoulders. She attracts him and she had no idea. She closed the door of her locker and saw him watching her. She smiled at him tenderly and he smiled back. “You have a nice name you know” he said. “We were friends since we were 6 and you’re telling me about that now?” she snorted. “Elizabeth Fern. It suits you”. “Why ‘cause I look like a queen?” she replied and did a twirl. “No. You look like a fern”. She pouted and jabbed his arm. “Just kidding Lizzie” he laughed and pinched her cheeks. “You’re unbearable”. “You too”. She rolled her blue eyes but laughed along. “So Liz, where you going after class?” Alex asked as they walked. “Somewhere you’re not”. “Wow, I’m so offended” he said sarcastically. “You asking me on a date?”. He stopped in his tracks and looked at her with shock. “I’m just kidding Alex” she laughed and jabbed his arm again. He stifled a laugh. “Lizzie, I want to show you something. Meet me after class, ok?”. “Will there be free food?”. “Pig” he groaned. “Shut up Stewart”.

After class, Alex waited for Lizzie in the library. He was cracking his knuckles. He does this when he is nervous. He had to tell her now. How will she react? Lizzie slid on the seat beside him. “Let’s eat Alex!” she beamed. “Seriously, Lizzie. Everything’s going to your cheeks”. “Are you calling me fat?” she said through gritted teeth. “I never said that”. “You indirectly said it”. “You’re not fat, just chubby”. “Chubby is the new ugly” she retorted. “The last thing that describes you is ugly, Lizzie, you’re…” he trailed off. He could feel himself blush. How embarrassing. He looked away to hide it. He sneaked a glance at her.

There was a hint of pink on her cheeks as she was pursing her lips. She looked adorable. Alex cleared his throat before he spoke. “So, shall we go?”. “Food!”. “Let’s take a walk first”. “Where?”. “A place I want to share with you”.